'Wizard of Oz'

Munchkin Dies at 93

11/16/2011 3:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Karl Slover
The guy who played the lead trumpeter in the Munchkin band in "The Wizard of Oz" died yesterday at the age of 93 ... reducing the number of living "munchkins" down to 3.

Karl Slover -- who played multiple munchkin roles in the 1939 classic --  passed away in a Georgia hospital after going into cardiopulmonary arrest.

Standing just 4-foot-5, Slover was actually one of the shortest Munchkins ... and even appeared at a "Wizard of Oz" event in Chicago just last week.

1116_Karl_Slover_wizard

Where's KOOKY?

So...he's "really, most sincerely dead?"

Rest in Peace, Mr. Slover, and thank you for all the wonderful memories!

Vicky

I didn't even know this guy was still alive until a few days ago, and now you tell me he's dead!? That's sad. RIP

Big Daddy

Rest in Peace Karl. And thank you for entertaining us all these years.

Steelerchick

RIP little fellow !!!

Beth

The Wizard of Oz is one of the best movies ever made! It takes me back to my childhood every time I watch it. Many years ago my mom and sister and I attended a Wizard of OZ festival somewhere in Indiana and we got to meet all the munchkins that were still alive. It was an experience I will never forget. Rest in Peace Karl!

Carl

He looks like a midget version of Ronald Reagan.

Fat Mike

That's what Harvey is going to look like in about 8-10 years

Kevin

RIP

sotiredofthis

THIS is the only post on today's TMZ that makes any sense. Otherwise, all fall under the category of the song ~ "God is great, the beer is good and people are C-R-A-Z-Y.

CriticXtreme

R.I.P Karl. This is a great movie. You have to see the outtakes. You know some people feel that this movie is about Gold. Hence the yellow brickroad. "OZ" is short for ounces.

yeah, I'm way out of line.

His doctor said "I'm sorry, you just have a short time to live"

BisisM

RIP Karl Slover.

LIN

I find it so sad that it doesn't bother anyone that this man earned less than a dog for his role in this movie...Yes TOTO earned more than he did...I don't think i'll ever be able to watch the movie again. Just another form of abuse and....I don't even know what else to call it...RIP Karl...bless your heart...xo

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2