« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Diagnosed with Lung Cancer

11/18/2011 1:22 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1118_joe_paterno_BN_01
Joe Paterno
has been diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer ... this according to his son Scott.

Scott just released the following statement: "Last weekend my father was diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer during a follow-up visit for a bronchial illness. He is currently undergoing treatment and his doctors are optimistic that he will make a full recovery."

Scott added, "As everyone can appreciate, this is a deeply personal matter for my parents, and we simply ask that his privacy be respected as he proceeds with treatment."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

penny

How can you be so cruel. I am sure not one of you haters have not seen someone you know do something that should be reported, and you didn't do anything because you would 1. lose your job and your income 2, lose a friend and be exposed as a rat.
Joe Paterno has spent his life trying to do good and now because someone tossed him a Hot Potatoe and he didn't toss it to someone else, he is being destroyed. What about all the good things he has done.. Shame on all you haters. I do not know this man, but I am sure this coach was one of his friends and he did not know what his friend was doing. Then someone tosses thin info to him and now he is the one that is being vilified. Not fair...No Karma involved. Grow up people and own up to your own shortcomings in life!!!

mocha2009

I think his role or lack of one in this whole scandal is horrible. However, I wish cancer on no one. FYI, for the future Scott, if privacy is what you are seeking - don't make an announcement!

Diane

Hope they can schedule his chemo treatments in between all his court appearances!

MsSuburbia

Paterno KNEW. http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/joepas-real-estate-move-raises-suspicious-eyebrows Rot in hell, Paterno.

jeff

No kardashian b llsh t today? This is nice. Leave tmz to real celebs not real housewives of wherever. My name is camille and I banged Kelsey Grammer, put me on TV. And quit posting that earning money from home sh t. I'ts a pain in the ass skipping over everytime. 84 and cancer he's toast. If it's true?

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Goes to show that privacy runs rampant in his family. Keep it on the hush/hush people. We don't want the news to get out.

karlew

Karma'********* Joe pretty hard this month.

TheHOLETruth

State 4, maybe.

Sandra

So!!

Ryan

Is it just me, or would he have played a perfect Jack Kevorkian? I mean ditch the $10k hair piece and they're practically twins.

Debulator

Fight Joe, fight!

Lynn Hiller

This is the PR spin machine getting warmed up.

tina

Couldn't have happened to a well deserving person.

Kaffee

This is a sympathy plea. Won't get any from me!

Kaffee