Wodka Vodka

Anti-Semitic Billboard Pulled

For Being Super Anti-Semitic

11/24/2011 12:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Wodka Vodka billboard -- christmas quality, hanukkah pricing
Some dumbass at the Wodka Vodka company thought he could post a billboard reading, "Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Pricing" ... and everything would be cool. He was wrong.

The billboard -- posted in New York -- was taken down after the company received scores of phone calls and complaints from the Anti-Defamation League.

A rep for the ADL released a statement saying, "In a crude and offensive way of trying to make a point that their vodka is high quality and inexpensive, the billboards evoke a Jewish holiday to imply something that is cheap and of lesser value when compared to the higher value of a Christian holiday."

The rep added the billboard "reinforces anti-Semitic stereotypes.”

According to the Washington Post, the guy in charge of the moronic campaign is Brian Gordon -- who says he is Jewish and didn't intend to offend anyone ... explaining the billboard was supposed to convey that Hanukkah is an "understated" holiday.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Julie

To me it says that for Hannaka, Jews don't spend as much as Christians do on Christmas. Which could be true- I really don't know. Don't they get presents for 8 days? TO me that's a lot of money.

D Boston

The ad plays on an age-old sterotype. At the very least, the ad is perceived by some as being anti-Semitic. I consider it anti-semitic even if the author did not.

I have a friend who is half black - half white. Speaking about racism, she said she often finds that the people who go on rationalizing why something isn't racist or why it’s just funny usually are racist deep down. The commenters in this list who try to justify this ad or argue against the response should think about that.

I am proud of the way our culture generally calls out potential messages of bias against race and religion. I applaud the ADL and their statement. I am glad the author explained succinctly it was not his intent (without trying to rationalize it). And I’m glad the company removed the ad.

G-Max

Must have been one of those self-hating jews.

George

Just another reason why I hate religion

Bob

If you drink too much Wodka it make you Womit

Steve Berkowitz

I think its not that funny, but I do feel people are too sensitive, you can't say anything these says without someone complaining, F off, besides its not like everyone doesn't know us jews can be cheap, you know who you are.... and Most asians (not all) are bad drivers, booo hooo. people have a right to their own opinion,

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10