Wodka Vodka

Anti-Semitic Billboard Pulled

For Being Super Anti-Semitic

11/24/2011 12:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Wodka Vodka billboard -- christmas quality, hanukkah pricing
Some dumbass at the Wodka Vodka company thought he could post a billboard reading, "Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Pricing" ... and everything would be cool. He was wrong.

The billboard -- posted in New York -- was taken down after the company received scores of phone calls and complaints from the Anti-Defamation League.

A rep for the ADL released a statement saying, "In a crude and offensive way of trying to make a point that their vodka is high quality and inexpensive, the billboards evoke a Jewish holiday to imply something that is cheap and of lesser value when compared to the higher value of a Christian holiday."

The rep added the billboard "reinforces anti-Semitic stereotypes.”

According to the Washington Post, the guy in charge of the moronic campaign is Brian Gordon -- who says he is Jewish and didn't intend to offend anyone ... explaining the billboard was supposed to convey that Hanukkah is an "understated" holiday.

Mikey

WTF - my ad block software won't let me see the Smirnoff ad people are talking about. I can't see nuttin.

Howitshouldread

Some dumbass at TMZ thought he could post a story about a billboard reading, "Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Prices" ... and readers would acquiesce.. He was wrong.

The billboard -- posted in New York -- was taken down after the company received scores of phone calls and complaints from the bored to death, impetuous Anti-Defamation League.

A rep for the ADL released a statement saying, "In a harmless and witty way of trying to make a point that their vodka is high quality and inexpensive, we thought the billboards evokes a Jewish holiday to imply something that is cheap and of lesser value when compared to the higher value of a Christian holiday. We just did not get it."

The rep added we want to "reinforce our hyper-politically correct beliefs towards free speech. We along with all watchdog groups envision promoting the censorship of free speech till its limits along with continuing to spread fear of expression due to our ultra sensitive views”

According to the Washington Post, the guy in charge of the creative campaign is Brian Gordon -- who says he is Jewish and is disappointed that he can't speak a word about his own people ... explaining the billboard was supposed to convey that Hanukkah is an "understated" holiday.

anony

Oh, come on! That's cute, with the dog in the yarmulke and all that....Lighten up!

CountryGal

I'm going to look for that vodka today just because I'm sick of cry babies whining about everything. Is America trying to raise a nation of ninny babies or what? You can't make fun of anyone anymore and I heard the other day some school is banning hard balls and replacing them with nerf balls so kids won't get bruised while playing. Give me a ******* break!

travcm

Seems fine. The term anti-Simitic is started to be vastly overused. Poking fun or making a joke is not an example of it.

Chad

My thoughts are forget them. Don't do them any favors, they obviously are too busy being offended to be happy you even mentioned them. Move on. I think people need to get a life.

Wash. Hts. Girl

It's just plain dumb...

Jonathan

I do believe this ad was not INTENDED to be anti-semitic although it's easy to interpret it that way. It was poor judgement on the part of the ad team and brand manager.

Perhaps, it should have read, "This Year, Let's Toast Each Other's Holidays With The Vodka We Agree On."

Dan

No offense, but Jews have to be the most hypersensitive collection of people in the world.. any little transgression they view as anti-semitic. What Mel Gibson said? That was anti-semitic.

Nowadays, even if you criticize the policies of Israel, A COUNTRY, they'll label you as anti-semitic, which is the most ridiculous point of view ever. It's the weapon of choice when they don't agree with your point of view.
And enough... the Holocaust happened over 70 years ago... it's done and in the past.. Do you see the Native Americans still bringing up their extermination at the hands of the settlers (or the fact that we CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING, which was the precursor to wiping them out), or the Chinese with Chairman Mao, who wiped out millions of his own people in China...

Enough...

jujubee

Everybody gets offended by everything these days... I don't think the ad is anti-semetic I think it's trying to incorporate two major religions around the holidays to sell their product. It's not very clever or great advertising, but nothing to go all up in arms about either.

bunny

He seems not to understand what his own billboard is saying.

Lame

And this has nothing to do with the competing vodka company that is advertising all over this site?

Tatyana

Why not "Christmas quality / Salvation Army pricing"??? Just a thought.

Gina

I don't know how the company could've thought to okay this billboard before placing it. Where's the common sense in this? I'm not Jewish and I'm still offended. There are too many people in the world that are still so ignorant and will stereotype others, even when they call it a joke. I'm a Christian and I apologize to everyone that's Jewish for this idiot's stupidity. Happy Hanukkah!

Franko

Foxman from the ADl makes over a half million a year. Hell, for that kind of money, I'd accuse people of antisemitic blinking!