T.I.

Some Gays are 'Not American'

11/27/2011 6:42 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1126_ti_tmz
T.I. thinks gays need to get over themselves ... at least the ones who try and muzzle people from telling harmless jokes.

T.I. was discussing gay rights with Vibe magazine -- an issue he says he supports -- and then mentioned Tracy Morgan's controversial comments earlier this year:

"Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy say during a stand-up was, 'C'mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a d**k, you can take a joke.' [Cracks up laughing.] That s**t was funny to me. And it’s kind of true."

Then T.I. unloaded ... talking about oversensitivity in the gay community, which he believes betrays the First Amendment which guarantees freedom of speech.

"They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace."

So we ask ...

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

eve

I dont agree, i think there needs to be limits, if that is the case, then i think black people are also too sensitive about the word "******", which is also an extremely offensive word.

laina282

yall call him what you want but he is still makin way more money bein TI an bein real. everyone has opinions.. and its quite comical to read. personally, the joke made me laugh because i take big doodoos sometimes and it hurts. so i get where he says if they can take a pen pen.. they should take a joke. just sayin....

bethesdabrat

When I can tell a "dumb ******" joke and no one gets upset, then you can tell a ****** joke and no one will get upset. Not until then. Got it?

Dave

Everyone needs to take a step back and realize this is an issue that has been happening since the begining of time! People stand up for their rights, they call "foul" when they are disriminaated against... that is what changes a nation... changes a world. If every gay person were to simply ignore every nasty comment or homophobic remark our country would not be taking the steps we are in finally accepting homosexuality. We are not going to hide in the shadows and be ashamed of who we are... it is our right to stand up and say "that's enough" Everytime a "joke" is made it plants a seed of doubt in someone's head in regards to the legitimacy of homosexuality. It may not sound like much to many of you, but that is all it takes... slowly warping the minds of our next generation.. our future. Furthermore, I cannot believe a member of a minority would say something such as this. I am not surprised that many ignorant white people posted comments lamenting about how they have been persecuted and discrimintated against..blahh blahh blahh... Being a minority is always difficult and you must stand up for who you are and make the world realize you are just as important as anyone else in this world. I'm ashamed of TI, you can tell he cares little about the fight his ancestors endured to gain equal rights. And I'm ashamed of my fellow white Americans for being ignorant enough to compare their "misfortunes" to those of others who wake up every morning hoping this is the day we can enjoy the rights so many others do.

yeas

It's not funny. Let's switch it up a bit and see how offensive this same joke, when two words are changed, can be to another historically marginalized group.

"'C'mon man, I think black people are too sensitive. If you can take a whip, you can take a joke.'"

For many gay people, hateful sentiments like Tracy's really hit a nerve.

Chad

Overly sensitive, you insensitive *****? People get burned alive for being a ******* ******. It happens ALL THE TIME. HERE IN AMERICA. GET A CLUE!!

Diego

I find it interesting that, after listening to the TMZ Live segment featuring the interview with TI, that the consensus was that he was right and that gays should be able to take a joke and trying to suppress the opinions of others is un-American yet there was such a strong reaction to the Wodka Vodka billboard. Kind of a double standard, no?

Jake

I myself am gay and agree with him. If gay people have the right to say its right, people have the right to say it isn't despite how ignorant they may be. As far as jokes, they are just that, jokes. Unless the person saying it has some hateful undertone attached to it, it should be taken as a joke. Jokes are jokes and should be taken that way.

Michelle

Some people are ultra-sensitive but for good reason. Who's more sensitive than blacks when it comes to making jokes? If you criticize a black person or make a joke you're automatically a racist.

UNLEVINED HARVEY

how bout this one, gay men have too much v.d. this is true

Previous 15 Comments | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18