T.I.

Some Gays are 'Not American'

11/27/2011 6:42 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1126_ti_tmz
T.I. thinks gays need to get over themselves ... at least the ones who try and muzzle people from telling harmless jokes.

T.I. was discussing gay rights with Vibe magazine -- an issue he says he supports -- and then mentioned Tracy Morgan's controversial comments earlier this year:

"Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy say during a stand-up was, 'C'mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a d**k, you can take a joke.' [Cracks up laughing.] That s**t was funny to me. And it’s kind of true."

Then T.I. unloaded ... talking about oversensitivity in the gay community, which he believes betrays the First Amendment which guarantees freedom of speech.

"They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace."

So we ask ...

michelle

TI never said gays are not American. Revise your headline-- it's misleading, negatively presumptuous, and wrong.

Hel

So Jokes about Black People are fair game right T.I.? No comments about a comedian being a racist, Right? no media/black organizations outcry...Right. We'll see, but I doubt it.

Yamiguru

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you're going to open your mouth and speak freely, you need to take responsibility for what you say, and any consequences that result from your comments. Words are easier to change than people. You can easily change your wording and still get across your opinion, but you can't change people from being hypersensitive. What you might consider funny may be hurtful to another, so be considerate of that, and be conscious of what you put out into the universe, because it will eventually come back to you. So, is hurting others really worth the sake of a joke?

Now if it was me at a comedy show, I would not care, because I paid for a comedian to say the most outlandish jokes possible. Comedians are there to entertain, they're not running for office. So the sensitives need to be made aware that the comedian is not saying jokes to spite them. The whole point of a stand-up show is to basically laugh at ourselves. Stand-up is like a confessional of sorts, the hypersensitives need to be understanding of that if they are so sensitive.

weird al yankovich

TRUTH !!!

You go TI , share the knowledge fam !

PEACE
M

i said lesbians...

the tracy morgan joke is hilarious haha. however i dont agree with this fully...i feel they are too sensitive (probably because their gay) about some things, but right in other areas. just like black people get mad and claim racism when jokes are told about them. say the n word to a black person or in a joke and you get crap for the rest of your life. yet this guy is against the same type of issue, because its gay people.

also hes a methhead.

ray

You know I agree with him. However, I'd like to ask him the same question but changing the word GAY to BLACK. I know what the answer SHOULD be, but given the vast amount of double standard I see in the entertainment industry I suspect he woulb BE FOR the abrogation of the first amendment, because after all "we were slaves" I never owned a slave and my people back to 1789 didn't own slaves therefor I am not to be saddled with 250 years of "white guilt"

carla

For the person that said gays get beaten and spit on, we all do. There are just as many straight people who get raped and attacked everyday for many reasons. I think what needs to be done is to stop acting as if you deserve special treatment. Not everyone is going to agree on what gay is. Just let it go. Live your life and Own it. We all go through stuff and comedians make of everyone! Why the sudden urge to control it? People will accept gays in time, but stop trying to tell people what to feel. That's when it becomes annoying and a backlash happens. If you are going to tell others they can't judge you them tellthem they can't judge anyone. So no more comments and jokes beig said about any gender race or group. It all should stop then. Defending and putting rules on just one group seems a bit selfish and wrong. I love gays and I don't want to hurt people's feelings but others get hurt as well quite as often and nothing is said or done. So it's coming off a bit arrogant. Also, we are going to loose all of our comedians! They are going to be scared to say anything and that's a shame.

Mimi

I agree with him and good for him for saying so! I support gay marriage but I ESPECIALLY support free speech. It's not right for any group to be attacked (gay, disabled, race-based) but there's a real difference between seriou*****e speech and relatively harmless jokes. I feel organizations like GLAAD have cheapened gay rights and they are so oversensitive about EVERYTHING that it's hard not to roll your eyes at them. Instead of thinking about the big issues, we have to listen to them spout off about Tracy Morgan or Chaz Bono. Maybe they should go after those Westboro Church ******** instead...

ChunkyLightning

This guy is a moron. People use to have the same problem with people that weren't the same colour or religion as them. So it's OK if you claim to be for their rights as long as you can make their life misserable talking trash to them all day!
Let's be honest nothing was done to Tracy he didn't face jail time just the friends and families that wont tolerate bigots and jerks regardless if their hate is directed at a particular race or sexual orrientation will not support (cash) any business or other entity that allows them to spew there hate. Since the country isn't made up of jerks except for pockets those companies get their dogs in line to keep the money comming in!

Bellaca

Bossip is racist. I agree. And while I understand T.I.'s point, I also believe there's a fine line between a joke and bashing.

Cheryl A.

I don't care if anyone is gay or straight, just shut up about it.
I never hear anyone announcing to the world that they are straight.

Brian

I'm a 51 year old gay man, I have known I was gay since i was 5 years old and had a crush on another boy in Kindergarten. I have also always had a good sense of humor and could not agree more with T.I. These are JOKES people, calm down and have a laugh. There is a difference between uneducated homophobia and poking fun, even bad taste fun...relax and have a laugh or two. Speak your mind T.I. you are entitled to your opinion! Sincerely, a guy who can take a d*ck in his ass AND take a joke too!!

jeff

If I cannot talk about black people... He cannot talk about gays... If I cant say *****... he cannot say ******... get it.. moron

ccm800

Let Seinfield tell a ****** joke and see how that goes. Hypocrites.

ziggy

why do we give a **** what this c**t has to say? Who the **** is T.I?