'Mythbusters'

Experiment Goes Wrong

Cannonball RIPS Through Homes

12/7/2011 12:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_5v3oza67_1_a4xmbdpp
Two California families are lucky to be alive -- after a "Mythbusters" experiment went horribly awry yesterday ... sending a cannonball careening through their homes, leaving MASSIVE holes in its wake.

Sgt. JD Nelson from the Alameda County Sheriff's Department says hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage were trying to figure out how effective a cannon is at firing non-cannonball objects ... but first, they had to test the cannonball itself.

The cannonball was supposed to land harmlessly in a nearby hill -- but something went wrong ... and the ball,  traveling at about 1000 ft/s, went over the hill bordering Camp Parks Military Firing Reservation, and into the neighboring town of Dublin, crashing through two separate houses before finally coming to rest ... inside someone's minivan.

The Discovery Channel show has been put on hold after the mishap, pending a full investigation. Luckily, no one was injured.

Thanks to San Francisco KTVU for the footage.

update_bar
7:30 AM PT: It's unclear how the experiment became derailed -- but a rep for Discovery tells TMZ, all proper safety protocol was observed. The rep adds, show producers are currently "assessing the situation and working with those whose property was affected."

Q.McHaffie

This isn't the first incident at the bomb range, and the others didn't involve the Mythbuster crew. Sounds to me that this location is not nearly as safe as they make claims it is for this sort of activity.

Carl

They should have done this one at the naval base site (the huge old concrete tarmac that is right on the bay with SF in the background). If they overshot the tarmac it would have fallen harmlessly in the bay.

THIS HOUSE WAS "700-YARDS" AWAY.

THAT'S 7 FOOTBALL FIELDS.

BigguyZ56

In response to the incident, Adam Savage was quoted as saying "Nothing happened! I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

But for serious, with all of the safety considerations they take, I'm shocked they did this. I wonder if this will lead to the end of the show? They keep trying to top themselves, and clearly that can only go so far.

One last thought- will this be on the Discovery website aftershow? :)

3Storms

I can totally hear Adam and Jamie's "beavis and butthead" laughs when it went wrong like they like to do, too.

melissa

This is RIGHT NEXT to my hometown1 YIKES! : (

GG

.. a rep for Discovery tells TMZ, "all proper safety protocol was observed." - - - - Really? "ALL" proper safety protocol?? I think "ALL" would imply that nothing was done wrong, and that nothing was overlooked. So.. the canonball overshoots it's target, slams through 2 houses and a minivan.. That's like saying, "I didn't nothing wrong when I shot someone with my gun, because I followed ALL property safety protocol" (Except, I forgot to NOT point the gun at anyone). So, you did NOT follow ALL proper safety protocol. Stop saying that you did.

Victor

Welcome to amateur hour. I know guys like this. Arrogant and really when you come right down to it -mediocre engineers.

Heated

So...

Did they get it all on tape?

buzz_ras

Anyone know where I can get a hold of contractor #2 and his door supplier? I'd like a cannon ball proof house too...

Peter Principle

Guess they forgot the part about not trying this at home.

samspade

Hey! S**t happens.

Wowza

They just need to be a bit more careful. The show is awsome.

Crash

"Don't try this at home. We're what you call... Experts."

Mr Bun

Best Mythbusters episode, ever!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments