Nelly

Calls In Sick for

Meet and Greet with Troops

12/10/2011 5:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nelly
Rapper Nelly cancelled a scheduled meet and greet with the troops at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska yesterday after he claimed to be sick.

Nelly performed at Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center in Anchorage on Friday night. But he complained on twitter the next day he had 102 fever and was throwing up ... and eventually said he had to bail on meeting the troops on Saturday.

I apologize 2all the troops and fam 2day n anchorage!been fighting off flu 4fewdays n it caught up2me!after my show sweating n going out!

Nelly's Facebook page was flooded by fans who were disappointed he didn't show up. One even posted a pic (see below) of troops sitting and waiting for him to show ... with the caption, "A few of the hundred, or so, military and their spouses (some who have their significant other deployed) on Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson in Alaska, that you stood up. Not cool!!!"

1210_nelly_trooops_sub
We reached out to Nelly's rep ... no word back.

Toilethead

What a low-life creep.

campy

What a douche bag. Way to support the troops you lazy ass.

Reggie Bammin

Being a tour manager for an artist that has also traveled overseas to entertain the troops, I can confirm that you can get quite sick quickly upon arrival, "the Kandahar flu" as it's nicknamed is brutal and leaves you sick as a dog for a few days.

The show was horrible. He sang like 5 of his songs then sang other rappers songs like racks on racks on racks.
Maybe it was cuz he was sick. but he had an after party... so wth

CHall

If he was sooo sick then why was he at platinum jaxx the night before partying and getting wasted?? Hmmm flu?? Sounds more like hangover to me.. Hangovers can cause fever and vomiting.. And canceling all together ok I get it people get "sick"..but Making troops stand around for 5 hours bc he kept saying he was out and on his way is bs.. Just saying!

Chris

The flu is pretty serious. If he had gone and passed it on to a bunch of people I'm sure there'd be a story about that too and he'd be bashed for it. There's no winning once you're famous.

CHall

J

Sure didn't seem sick when he was out partying it up til all hours of the night. Sorry but this is not the first time this has happened and be man enough to admit your faults. Don't have your reps saying you are on your way and then 15 minutes from the gate and then checking in at the gate if in fact you had no intentions of showing. Should have said something before the meet and greet and not 4 hours after you were supposed to be there.

obama'saracist

he has as much respect for our troops as Dover air force base

angel

STOP WHINING BITCHES THE PERSON IS SICK GET OVER IT!! GEEZZZZZ...YEAH YEAH YEAH HE PROMISE TO BE THERE BUT HE HAD A FEVER OF 102 IF YOU'RE IN HIS SITUATION WOULD YOU GO AND SPREAD YOUR GERMS?

Melissa

Nelly seems like a good guy. Doubt he was using the flu as an excuse to get out of this.

Lil' Miss M

TMZ, this is my picture and comment. First, I wanted to say thanks for running this story! It means a lot to our military.

Second, I would like to correct the number of military and dependents that showed up. There were approximately 400, not 100 +. Also, this story states the Meet n Greet was Saturday. The meet and greet was Friday.

Third, Nelly was scheduled to come out from 12 - 1. When everyone showed up, we were told he rescheduled for 4 and that he said he would stay longer because of the rescheduling. Come 4:30 we were told he was checking in at the gate. At 5:30 we were told Nelly was too tired to come. At first we all thought it was a joke. Not once were we told that he was sick and throwing up. If that were the case, this backlash would not have been as severe.

Fourth, the night before he was partying at Platinum Jaxx for the after party, until about 7 AM. I showed up, but left by 1:30 because his butt still wasn't there.

Last, now that everyone has the full story, they can be the judge regarding his Twitter comment about being sick.

Sherry Foster

My friend posted the picture, They spent hours waiting to meet Nelly, She went into specific detail of what happened, They weren't told anything about him being Sick, You people need to back off. They were Stood Up with no explanation.

Sherry Foster

Crybabies I don't Think So, They waited for hours waiting on him to show up and they were Stood up, My friend posted the picture. She explained everything to detail. Nothing was mentioned to them about him being SICK.

Muppet

They would rather he show up with the flu and pass it around to everyone? I'd say that's NOT cool!! Suck it up guys, the man is sick!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments