Matisyahu

I Shaved My Big

Jewish Beard

12/13/2011 8:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Matisyahu without beardOrthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems.

Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise."

We're reaching out to Matisyahu for comment -- we'll fill you in on the beard drama as it unfolds.

update_bar

10:38 AM PST -- Matisyahu has posted a blog, explaining his decision to chop his face warmer ... in which he writes, "No more Chassidic reggae superstar."

He adds, "Sorry folks, all you get is me ... no alias.  When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life."

"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules -- lots of them -- or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."

Matisyahu

birdman

wtf?!?!?! whyyyyyy

anony

Good. Maybe he finally realizes he doesn't need all those rules. None of us do.

mebrat24

give me a fricken break, you have to update this----- like this is a story that any one cares about. REALLY
COME ON TMZ NO ONE CARES IF HE SHAVES.

Tracy

WHO??????

EarthAngel

Looks like he emerged from the backwoods of Arkansas.....was he in Deliverance??

Mike

Since Matisyahu is an artist who produces music with substance and intelligent, relevant lyricism it isn't likely that most of the people who consume stories on TMZ are even going to know who he is, or care. Only stories about the most vapid, talentless, self absorbed media-whores will do for this sophisticated crowd.

nazom

ew.

popo

i will seriously stop coming to tmz im tired of those ******* sony adds the sites is going slower everyday

Pete Beau

I gave this dude a dollar, he was at the end of the exit ramp with a cardboard sign....

jeff

Say who? Never heard of him.

Jazzy.J

Never Even Heard Of You Dudeeeee.

Jeff Behar

What a tool!! I'm a jew(ish) and i saw this clown of a rapper/reggae star(LOL) when he first hit the scene! The music and rappin etc was o.k. but then he started friggin preaching to the audience like givin me a sermon. If i wanted to go to synagogue i wouldn't do it at a nite club!! He needs to just do his schtick and be done with it and not preach between songs!! he is not the messiah!! And now that he has shaved his beard is he going to rap about screwing shciksas and gettn wasted!?? Luv ya Harvey and co. I watch every day!!! And u called my dad a few years back and asked him to fax u a copy of the contract he signed etc. I promise u he would of my mom didn't miss place it!!! He was really disapointed he couldn't find it! It's Sasha Cohen's good luck that he didn't!!!

CDS

This is disappointing. I hope he's not back on drugs.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

He could've at least kept a goatee or something.

Buckaroobonzai

i've been preaching this for years. Religion is for weeker minded people incapable of doing the "right" thing unless they have guidelines. Some of us are smart enough to be good people without the belief or fear of a deity. Religion was invented to control a wreck-loose society. At what point can we evolve past it?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments