'Lean On Me' Actor Arrested

for Buying 200 POUNDS of Weed

12/15/2011 3:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jermaine Hopkins Mug Shot
The guy who starred as troubled youth Thomas Sams in the 1989 classic "Lean On Me" was arrested in Arizona for allegedly buying 200 pounds of pot from an undercover cop this week.

Jermaine "Huggy" Hopkins has been charged with two felony counts of possessing, transporting and trying to sell marijuana.

According to police, the 38-year-old actor lives in North Carolina ... but traveled to AZ to make the drug deal on Tuesday.

Cops in Maricopa County say they set up the sting operation ... and after Hopkins took possession of the dope, they pulled over his SUV and arrested him. Cops say they found $100k in cash in the ride.

Officials later searched Hopkins' Arizona apartment and claim they found an additional 100 pounds of weed.

Police say Hopkins told them he got involved in the drug deal to provide a nice Christmas for his family.

Hopkins is being held on $35,000 bond. If convicted, he faces up to 5 years in prison.

katsav44

Damn it Sams!

dolly

He's better known for his role in the movie JUICE with Tupac. TMZ please change the header

troy le

woow..i guess he was dreaming of a weed christmas..now he will be spreading the cheeks for christmas in prison..dam people you see what believing in satan claus will do for you?it make people do anything for a pagean holiday..he will be leaning on something alright...LOL

Ms.j

WOW! he was a drug user on the show n he is a drug user in real life. Dat is crazy!

TWEETBIRD

Guid damn Sam...lol. I thought Mr.CLark taught you not to do drugs..lol. You smoke crack don't ya?..JUMP!! I DON'T WANNA JUMP MR.CLARK.LOL

TinaC

It look like he was gone smoke it all too! Puff Puff Pass my a$$ this joka gone be late for class!LOL He should have been investing in research for that damn Michael Jackson disease he got on his damn face! Instead of buying into the illegal drug trade! I am pretty sure he could flipped that lil money a much more smarter way!

als

Another child actor who fell victim to the pitfalls of quick fame and then dropped like a hot potato. I think its sad and with it just being pot I say give him probation. Its just stupid lives being ruined over pot for Christ sake

TMZ dont like me

Damn, homie looks pretty messed up in that mug shot. Man, I can't believe dude is only 5 years older than me, lol...

Mr Gift

SAMS!!! "YA KILLIN' YA BRAIN CELLS BOY, YA' KILLIN' YA BRAIN CELLS!!". SMH They should put him in a cell and make him watch his own movie back to back 22 hours a day. lol

Nostradamus

Sounds like he was buying Mexican brick weed. Dude lives in norcal, who would buy that crap in the cannabis capitol of America?

Nostradamus

Oops, read it wrong, north Carolina not Cali.
Nevermind.

Tammy

Why's he charged with trying to sell it? I get that he bought it and was transporting it to NC, but I didn't see where he tried to sell it. This is utter BS!! Charge people with what they DID, not what you THINK they plan to do.

Nancy

We don't want a good principal! We want Mr. Clark!!!

aint nothing wrong with mexican sativa, its what we smoke on the east

avon

I don't see why grown and consenting adults can't smoke a plant without the government looking over their shoulders and turning it into a criminal issue. People drink alcohol, smoke deadly tobacco, get botox shots, and eat Big Macs - why not some weed? And I don't even smoke weed but it makes me sick to see people arrested and taking up taxpayers' money in jail for selling a plant. The worse thing that weed causes is slow driving, munchies, and dumb smiles. So what?