Country Star Rodney Atkins

Arrested for Trying to Smother

Wife with a Pillow

12/15/2011 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rodney Atkins Mug shot
Country superstar Rodney Atkins was arrested last month in Tennessee for domestic assault after allegedly trying to smother his wife with a pillow -- but TMZ has learned Rodney has since filed for divorce, and insists his wife made up the whole thing.

According to court docs filed in Williamson County, Rodney's wife Tammy Atkins called 911 at 7:47 AM on November 21 -- claiming the two had been arguing throughout the night in their home ... when Rodney turned violent.

Tammy told police Rodney tried to smother her with a pillow ... and later grabbed her by the face and threw her down the hallway.

According to cops, Tammy insisted the platinum-selling singer "had been drinking alcohol all night and was intoxicated."

What's worse -- Tammy claims the entire assault took place in front of the couple's 10-year-old son.

Rodney was hauled to a nearby jail -- where he was booked and released on $2,500 bail.

But Rodney says his wife is straight up lying -- and his lawyer is calling the incident nothing more than an "unfortunate verbal dispute."

In a statement released to TMZ ... Rodney's lawyer says, "When Mr. Atkins realized their child was in hearing range of the argument his first priority became getting out of the earshot of the child."

The statement continues, "Mr. Atkins realized he would have no recourse but to file a complaint for divorce. He has exercised substantial parenting time with the parties son and he will continue to do so while the divorce is pending."

"Mr. Atkins wants to thank his fans for standing by him as he is confident the truth will prevail."

kimi

plus that does not even look lke him she just wanted more money why dont they put her in mental hospitalhe dont have the problem she does..

Denise

she so obviously called the police out of revenge because he wanted to divorce her

chaz lane

Well of course he's gonna say she was lying...

John R. Nilsen

Just a litlle bit of "he said-she said!"

NashvilleNate

Are you people kidding me?! This breaks my heart to see a tabloid make up some story and make someone who is so kind with such a big heart look bad for doing no wrong. I know Rodney and Tammy personally and am very close with someone who tours with him. He is the sweetest, most gentle heart you've ever met and loves his wife dearly. He takes two weeks off of touring each year for his son's birthday to spend time with him. And he and his wife are very much in love. This small comment doesn't have a lot of power, I know, but hopefully at least a few people read it and realize how much bogus is on this site. Find something else to talk about.

UPYOURS

Actually, she just slipped and fell on the pillow, he really didn't have anything to do with it. Next step for him? Rehab and mea culpa's out the ying yang. Rinse, lather, repeat.....

Heather

This is bull****. Everyone in Nashville knows how twisted this woman is - no doubt she fabricated this story out of revenge for him divorcing her!!

Susie

I highly doubt this is the fist time Rodney has gotten drunk. There has never been any other incidents, or they would have been do***ented(most likely) My guess is that this is a made up story. His Story seems highly plausable. I hope it's cleared up for everyone's sake especially the child.

Tammy

You know, since he prompatly filed for divorce, I think she's lying. I always find it hard to believe the man is innocent when he stays with the woman as I think any man who's been falsely accused would hightail it away from the psycho. As for arguing, parents do it all the time and kids hear it. No healthy marriage is without disagreements.

Jughead

The chick's a jealous whack job--if you've ever been around her, you'd know her story is false.

FREE RODNEY!

melissa higby

I love your singing and when you sing it expresses alot and tell's u alot about someone, words are deep and meaning full i myself have been in 2 horrible relationships that i was beat in 1 for 5 yrs, 1 for 3 and have children with both of them, me myself i had a nervous breakdown due to my father being terminally ill and caring for him, i sing myself and from the time i was a kid i have, if u weren't there then u have no right to pass judgement on anyone, so u people out there who want to talk **** well maybe u should take a good look at your own life, cause maybe u yourself are in situations where u are being hurt by someone or have been in the past but know people lie to make it look like the other person in the relationship has done something to hurt you and as i said take a good look in the mirror before passing judge someone else and then make your rude comments

Todd

sounds made up

BRENDA GIBBONS

I WILL STAND BY RODNEY I BELIEVE WHAT HE SAYS,my daughter son-in-law know both Rodney and Tammy I know Rodney personally and I find it hard to believe he would do what Tammy says I think she is telling a big story.Rodney I stand with YOU.

KnuckleDragger

Odd, I read this story twice and can't find any mention of a dog and a pickup truck.

C'mon

Women make this kind of stuff up ALL THE TIME. Men can be abusive jerks, but so can women, the only people who really know what happened are Rodney and his wife.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments