Ex-NYU Professor

James Franco Was Lucky

He Passed

12/19/2011 2:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

James Franco wasn't just lucky to get a "D" in his NYU acting class ... he was lucky to graduate -- this according to the professor who says the University fired him for sticking the actor with a low grade.

José Angel Santana and his lawyer, Matt Blit, called in to TMZ Live today, claiming NYU was shameless in its special treatment of Franco.

Santana claimed, "I saw what every other student did during [the 3 years I was there], and I saw what [Franco] did at that time, and there's no comparison."

That said -- Santana said he actually likes James Franco ... telling us, "When he was in my classes he was a model student." Problem is ... Franco only attended 2 out of 14.

HARRY NIPPLES, Jr.

I've seen him act. He didn't deserve to pass. He's an awful actor.

AntiSocialForum.com

Famous people getting special treatment? I Don't believe it!

Tom Collins

I bet James Franco couldn't compete on NBC's new game show, Who's Still Standing. It premieres tonight!

Truth

OH MAN, THE PROF CLAIMS HE'S DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. IF SO... HE SHOULD JUST FAIL FRANCO AND GIVE THE IDIOT AN "F" FOR F-U WHICH IS WHAT HE DESERVED ANYWAY. HE FAVORED FRANCO HIMSELF. DUDE SAID HE DESERVED AN "F" BUT GAVE HIM A "D" SO HE COULD GRADUATE. FAVORING LAME CELEBS... WHO WOULDA THOT. #TRUTH!!

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Ask Franco ten questions every film student should know. If he cannot answer it hire the Professor back.

File that lawsuit, I am Lindsay Lohan!

Well, I have no sympathy for this prof because he passed him when he should've failed him. Would the prof done the same thing for another non famous person? I don't think so

northern gypsy

i was watching tmz live and after listening to the interview...
i'm going to say it sure doesn't look good for n.y.u.
dare i say...yet another scandal in our hallow halls of education!!!

Jackie

TMZ.in the previous post you said he attended 12 out of 14? now you are saying he attended 2 out of 14?...Which one is correct?

bagladey

James Franco never impressed me as being brilliant and academically inclined; wrinkles do not equal genius.

beachgal

He should've been flunked instead of a D for attending only 2 of 14 classes. Franco is a tool.

tgrfan42069

i sense this guy is just out for media attention..calling TMZ to air out james grades how he acted in school.seems like bull **** to me.sounds like this guy is proud to have given a block buster actor a d

Litesout

That last sentence cracked me up---LMAO!!
Perhaps he missed classes cos he had to spray paint some letters and numbers on a wall!

blueflameford

Franco's a tool. And so are all the professors that passed him.

Sincerity

If Professor Santana received "WELL ABOVE AVERAGE" performance evaluations before he had James Franco as a student then does have grounds to sue!!! Usually the class "ATTENDANCE" policies are outlined via the course syllabus when the class begins. It was foolish for James Franco to "ignore" them simply because he's a "celebrity". Online classes would have been a much better fit for someone who has scheduling conflicts. James Franco should have tried to discuss his "potential" absences with Professor Santana before he actually registered for his class to determine whether or not they would be an issue rather than assuming his "celebrity" status would "FAVORABLY" influence his final grade.

manbearpig

franco only attended 2 of 14 classes and slept through one of those he did attend. i bet he buys his grades.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments