Matisyahu

Accused of Kicking Woman

in the Face at Concert

12/23/2011 10:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1223_matisyahu_tmz_BNFormerly bearded Jewish rapper Matisyahu allegedly booted a female photojournalist in the face at a concert in Brooklyn this week ... all because he felt the flash was "distracting."

It all went down Wednesday night -- when a photog named Rebecca Smyne tweeted, "I was just attacked by mAtisyahu calling cops pressing charges. Wtf! He kicked me in face and broke my camera!!!!!"

A short time later, Smyne went back to Twitter and explained ... "I'm ok; after cops showed, matisyahu's manager, who witnessed the incident, gave me a fat stack of cash to cover damages. Happy hanukkah!"

After the show Matisyahu, posted a tweet to Rebecca ... saying, "sorry about last night.I totally snapped.I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd."

He continued, "being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is."

Rebecca claims she barely used a flash that night -- and calls BS on Matisyahu's "it wasn't a kick" defense ... saying, "He stepped on my face on purpose ... it hurt."

update_bar
Matisyahu released a statement shortly after the incident -- saying, “I regret what transpired when I tried to remove the camera from the photographer’s hands last night ... I reacted impulsively out of frustration and for that I apologize.”

HRH Prince Michael

I've only heard a bit of his music. Great stuff, though.
When he shaved his traditional-beard, he made some
ambiguous spiritually-related statements.

In this very-special season, May The True and Living YAHWEH
bless Rebecca, Matisyahu, and all Humanity.

Daniel

He kicked your Face or your Camera? Probably your camera, your story smells of BS from here.

Aaron

I call BS on her part. She accepted the money and is still badmouthing him. Some photographers are REALLY annoying!

BO HUNK

I've never heard of this douchebag. Any guy that hits a woman is a little punk. I'm sick of these rappers. They're all a bunch of thugs and their music SUCKS!!!

HRH Prince Michael

@Knuckledragger: YAHWEH did not "..over-look all the starving children.." Did you?

May The True and Living YAHWEH, bless You and Yours

Jimmy jamz

I am watching some of the videos on youtube and stop calling her a "photog" she was one of those losers who sit there snapping awful digital camera pictures for her facebook ruining the concert for everyone behind her who has to look around her bright a$$ lcd screen. There was no photo pit. So this ******* was flashing away with her crap camera not some professional.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Hey BECCA, "It hurt"? Repeated flashes hurt too. Deal with it. Cost of doing business as a papsmearotzi.

Jay W.

Sounds like easy money...

themillieblog

Put the beard back on!

Carl

I thought most concerts have a no photography policy. I know she is a journalist, but that still doesn't let her start snapping pictures unless they allow her to do it.

Conscientious photog

Don't have a clue who this rapper is, probably some talentless idiot after some publicity but as a part time live music photographer he gets some sympathy off me.

There are far too many arrogant gig photographers who give us conscientious photogs a bad name! Blinding the crowd and band with flashgun 1ft away from their face, blocking the paying crowd's view..
Does Matisyahu wanna come to Manchester in the UK? I can point him in the direction of 2 flash happy pro gig photogs who need a kick in the head!

ralph cartel

As a concert photographer myself rules clearly state NO FLASH!@!!!! She should have got NOTHING for her stupidity....

Chris

I call bull****. I'm an event photographer that only shoots live music at big venues in NYC . The rule is and everyone knows your not supposed to use flash, Security guys always tell you that before you go into the photo pit ... Also i just looked at Rebeccas photos and it looks like she only uses flash !!! She deserved the boot in the face.. Flash dosent only blind a performer but also everyone around ...

Mark

Everyone saying she "sold out" for accepting a pile of cash... You Are Dumb.... she got kicked in the face and had her camera broken... light bruising, and a minor laceration at worst... she made a couple thousand dollars (which is a lot to a regular person)... instead of a huge police report and lawsuit and time and money sucking mess where she might have gotten almost nothing, the situation was resolved with a quick payout... SHE DIDN'T SELL OUT... she was compensated for her damages on the spot

rockstr

Rebecca Smyne is nothing more than an opportunist. She is a far cry from a photographer, a spoiled little hipster who lives in Brooklyn with an SLR who "freelances" for magazines like paper and vice. She had no press credentials or passes and was continuously using the flash in the artist face, big time faux-pas. She was hardly injured and she took the cash payoff, Rebecca get a grip and quit your bitchin, your 15 mins are done now go get a real job!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments