Matisyahu

Accused of Kicking Woman

in the Face at Concert

12/23/2011 10:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1223_matisyahu_tmz_BNFormerly bearded Jewish rapper Matisyahu allegedly booted a female photojournalist in the face at a concert in Brooklyn this week ... all because he felt the flash was "distracting."

It all went down Wednesday night -- when a photog named Rebecca Smyne tweeted, "I was just attacked by mAtisyahu calling cops pressing charges. Wtf! He kicked me in face and broke my camera!!!!!"

A short time later, Smyne went back to Twitter and explained ... "I'm ok; after cops showed, matisyahu's manager, who witnessed the incident, gave me a fat stack of cash to cover damages. Happy hanukkah!"

After the show Matisyahu, posted a tweet to Rebecca ... saying, "sorry about last night.I totally snapped.I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd."

He continued, "being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is."

Rebecca claims she barely used a flash that night -- and calls BS on Matisyahu's "it wasn't a kick" defense ... saying, "He stepped on my face on purpose ... it hurt."

update_bar
Matisyahu released a statement shortly after the incident -- saying, “I regret what transpired when I tried to remove the camera from the photographer’s hands last night ... I reacted impulsively out of frustration and for that I apologize.”

Joan K

Whoever this idiot is it looks like he has been hit in the face with the ugly stick a little too much. What's with the bags, a hard day of drugs?

Brien

I think it's funny some barely known musician thinks he's can pull an Axl Rose. This clown hasn't earned the rights to kick anyone in the face. He should consider himself lucky he's not flipping burgers.

Brien

oh ya... and he's the one who looks like he's been kicked in the face. LOL!!!

osteenq

People actually care enough about him to try and take pictures?!

sowhat

ummm...obviously a publicity stunt.
first it is posted that you shaved your beard...in an attempt to look like a beastie boy since the fascination with you being Jewish AND a rapper has faded.....
now your people hire a women to say she has been hit by you then tweet it and you miraculously find out she has tweeted moments later and you guys meet in person and you give her tons of cash and she forgives you??? really?
any woman who i***** in the face by a man would go to the authorities and you being "famous" would prompt her to make even more money on top of that through the legal system.

how about this, stop being CHEAP and just hire proper PR.
tacky.

Spatology

This bitch is no better then a common street whore. Your entire life is about possibly catching someone off guard and profiting off this. **** ALL "Photog's"

tre

WHO?

babaloo1

Seriously?!!!.... You think the audience is Palestine and you can do whatever the F you want with it??..
Go rap in Israel!!

Mazor

I'm surprised he would kick her, it's not like she stood between him and a clearance sale.

Willie'sNelson

Steppin into the crowd or steppin on the crowd? This fellers got the same nasty temper as Chris Brown. I hope he gits the same treatment as Chris did cause ya dont kick folks nor women.

Willie'sNelson

Steppin into the crowd or steppin on the crowd? This fellers got the same nasty temper as Chris Brown. I hope he gits the same treatmint as Chris did cause ya dont kick folks nor women. And than pretend ya didnt do nuthin.

ExtraKetchup

Another ranting opportunist trying to come up off of someone richer and more famous than they by causing them to react to an unnecessary situation. Pity.

CriticXtreme

Getting rid of the bead has turned you into a monster. With the beard you were humble.

jack

It's never ok to kick someone in the face, this is unacceptable behaviour. It just shows what a weakling you are! I hope she presses charges.

disinter

Pretty dirty for a person whose whole persona is based on "love" and inner peace. Why the hell does tmz keep posting crap about this guy anyway? He's a nobody.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments