'Fresh Prince' Star

RIPS WILL SMITH

I'll Never Reunite w/ that 'A**hole'

12/27/2011 6:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aunt Viv on Fresh Prince of Bel Air
The woman who played the original Aunt Viv on "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" says there's a damn good reason she wasn't at a recent reunion dinner with the rest of the Banks family -- she HATES Will Smith.

15 years after the show went off the air ... Janet Hubert tells TMZ, she's still upset with the way she was fired from the show ... and blames the whole thing on Smith himself.

"There will never be a reunion ... as I will never do anything with an a**hole like Will Smith," Hubert said.

1227_fresh_prince_facebook_dateShe adds, "He is still an egomaniac and has not grown up. This constant reunion thing will never ever happen in my lifetime unless there is an apology, which he doesn't know the word."

Hubert has said in the past she believes Smith is to blame for her departure in the middle of the show's run -- claiming he turned on her because she wouldn't kiss his butt.

But Smith refuted the claims after Hubert left the show in 1993 -- telling an Atlanta radio station Hubert simply had a bad attitude which played a major role in her demise.

Smith told the radio station, "[Hubert] said once, 'I've been in the business for 10 years and this snotty-nosed punk comes along and gets a show.' No matter what, to her I'm just the AntiChrist."

We called Smith for comment -- so far, no response.

Afro-diety

The referring article states Will Smith told "mammy" jokes to the live audience between taping, which infuriated Janet, and would somewhat justify her rage. I don't like half-told accounts. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/27/janet-hubert-blasts-will-smith_n_1170860....html?ir=Black+Voices

BB not bb

If I remember correctly, the way she played the role was with sort o*****hetto/street attitude about her. All the other characters acted like rich snobs. Maybe that is why they didn't want her on the show, and then got a "nicer" mom. She kind of had a bitter edge to her, like she was addressing her feelings about her past in the way she played the role.

I think the show wanted to show blacks as being just in the same role as whites, ie Valley girl, preppy son, rich lawyer, fawning butler, spoiled daughter. They didn't want charcters that looked street smart like the aunt was being played as.

The whole show seemed really phony to me, so I was never a big fan even when it was very popular. It seemed more like propaganda than art or comedy. If you are not pc, the propaganda machine will spit you out. Just sayin'.

I think it is kind of snippy of Will to say that no matter what he does, he will be the antichrist to her. That doesn't sound very respectful. I can imagine they did get in some arguments, and then the producers asked Will if they should get rid of her and he said sure, why not. Then they could make it look like it was all his fault.

It seems like if you have a mind of your own in Hollywood, you are not going to go very far.

Kaijuisme

It was widely reported at the time that Hubert was fired because her attitude had become intolerable, that she was demanding without cause, took a diva attitude, was late for work if she showed up at all, and literally bullied the producers and network people. They finally got fed up. Key stars do not get fired in the middle of a hit show without reason. Will Smith didn't arrange her exit. Hubert did it to herself. Any wonder she has no career to this day? I'm sure nobody connected with the show misses her at the reunions.

Amy

My cousin is a stuntman &worked with Will Smith on 'I Robot'.Not only that,he actually got to go out to dinner with the Smith family.He said the Smiths were the nicest people he has ever met.I have a hard time believing he is an ******* now.Back then?Who knows.

Eric

LOL There's a reason they replaced you.The cast hated you and you thought you were a better actress than you were and didn't think you could be replaced. Well I guess that didn't work out for you I haven't seen you since.

BB not bb

I saw her on youtube saying that while she was pregnant, Will expected her to go in his dressing room and dance to rap music with everyone else. She said that she would not act like his groupie and act in such an undignified way at 38 years old, while he is only 22.

I kind of see her point. She said the rap music was so loud every day on the set that she could hardly think. I guess she must have complained and they didn't like the way she did so. She said she was moody from her pregnancy. If you are stressed when you are pregnant, as by loud music or being made to dance around, it could be dangerous.

She said she wanted to make her character even more ghetto, giving her dred locks and stuff. Maybe she just didn't fit the Hollywood image that they were trying to promote. She said she refused to sell her soul for money, while the rest of the cast went along in silence in fear of losing their jobs.

This is all very plausible to me. I can still barely stand to watch that show. I don't think it is in any way a classic. It is kind of like a West Coast version of The Cosby Show.

I wonder why the second aunt is not in the reunion picture either.

mspritzee

Wow! Will can you at least apologize to this lady!You,janet and god know the real truth. With that being said, if Janet's allegations has any type of creedence please do the right thing! Afterall,you have become a mega star and you have been blessed beyond measure! If she is just blowing off smoke and delusional then you should not address her allegations.

suzzie

She was the best mother on the show. Maybe, Will didn't show enough respect toward her. Sometimes our younger adults in the industry can lose their place with the older generations which play a very important role in the industry. I love them both. I hope Janet can one day accept his apology if he ever apologize.

John

This has been how many years? Seriously there has to be something more to this than butt kissing...and considering how many years this series ran with the cast and writers scripting the legacy of Will..haha!! Seriously I believe Jada would have said something if there was a question to be had. Much Love to a great cast not excluding anyone!! :) JTD

Cookie

...Hey Janet!

jaye

I heard him on Tavis Smiley's show, she's right about him being an ********. He is such a self-centered, egotistical jerk. Tavis Smiley looked at him as if he had horns lol. But he was too polite to contradict what Smith was saying. She's obviously not afraid of his 'celebrity', but she really doesn't need to keep making public rants about it. She really worked the part of Aunt Viv. Her replacement was lackluster.

tellmeaboutit

Good for her. Smith is mr ego. Now he's busy trying to cram his kids down people's throats. Funny thing is, now he takes his orders from mrs ego, Jada. There's some karma on him, girl. LOL

Telma

Feel sorry for her...holding on to anger is bad for her health.

CJ

I enjoyed Janet Hubert's performance as the original Aunt Viv just of the chemistry she and James Avery had. The second Aunt Viv really didn't do it for me, the Writers totally change the relationship that the original Aunt Viv had with Uncle Phil. Too bad.. The Fresh Prince was a family show, not just for teens. The original cast was the best.

TMZ, stop creating negative press and running the rumor mill. Be part of the situation instead of the problem and allow Janet Hubert and Will Smith resolve there issues and/or misunderstanding. In most working relationships there are going to be issues. I'm sure Harvey has some issues with his team too. Keeping it real...

Jim in Cali