Neil Diamond Awkward Moment With

Chick Who Inspired 'Sweet Caroline'

12/28/2011 8:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

122811_kennedy_still

Neil Diamond has said "Sweet Caroline" was inspired by a photo of a 4-year-old Caroline Kennedy -- hence the awkward laughter when Caroline recited the line, "touching me, touching you" back at the singer during the Kennedy Center Honors event last night.

Diamond insists there was nothing pervy about the song -- in 2007, he explained, "It was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony ... It was such an innocent, wonderful picture, I immediately felt there was a song in there."

Still, kinda weird ... right?

allen crigger

#2-4-5-6-8-10-11.esp #5 you people are SICK GO To HE--

Louise

The picture inspired the title only. He built a song (not about her) from the title. I write poems and I do the same thing. Something inspires the title - I write a poem around it. :)

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

It's kind of weird. If you read all the lyrics, yeah it's weird. If he would have just specified the song is not 'about' her, instead of talking about looking at her picture, maybe less creepy.

brenda

A classic song, about a classy lady in her younger days from an iconic songwriter and TMZ has to turn it into something wrong. Good job TMZ. I've always believed that he/she who plays the card is the guilty one. Get out of the gutter.

OBAMA CLAUS

Look at the night
then it won't seem so lonely
we fill it up with only two.
When i hurt , hurting runs off my shoulders
but how can i hurt holding you ?' ew. Sweet Carolinge good times never been so good. EW

1bourbon,1scotch,1beer

touching me,touching me....damn im lonely

Firefly

I replied to Sparky with this post but I felt I needed to put it out here for the ones with warped minds.
------

Neil said he was looking at a picture of her in her riding outfit. If you re-read the words and put a horse in the picture than it doesn't sound sick.She may have been lonely with her parents away alot and maybe she had only her horse to turn to for comfort. If she falls off her horse it will hurt but she gets back on and holds on.(how can I hurt holding you). Nothing sinister here people, move along

Floridagirl

So, even one of the nicest guys in the entertainment world, Neil Diamond, needs to bashed. What the heck is wrong with everyone?

sPaNkdEnALgAs

Ummm...I like Neil Diamonds music but, WOW. This definitely left me speechless. All I can say is pervert & pedo...phile

sPaNkdEnALgAs

Ok, I take back my last comment. You peeps are right!T M Z sta ff has completely taken this out of context. And as for Caroline Kennedy...shame on you for trying to make it sound perverted!

sPaNkdEnALgAs

P.S. Anyone who navagates other celebrity news sites beware with radaronline . com.....I caught the Vista virus while visitng their page x 2 (Once with out protection & then another but my new software caught it)

afjioeqjioe

I never know that song was about her. I was wondering why she did that on the introduction to the show last night.

yo momma

Leave it to TMZ to make anything sound pervy.

Susan

Geezz..how can you people take an innocent song and turn it into something perverted. Caroline Kennedy had a place in America's heart amd was such a sweet girl, so she was the inspiration in his songm as in touching the hearts of America...get your minds out of the gutters and Caroline, you weren;t that funny in your chosen words for that speech. What an embarassment for Diamond..I would tear that song up and never sing it again.

wenzy

I think he meant his heart not his...heart-on!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments