Neil Diamond Awkward Moment With

Chick Who Inspired 'Sweet Caroline'

12/28/2011 8:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

122811_kennedy_still

Neil Diamond has said "Sweet Caroline" was inspired by a photo of a 4-year-old Caroline Kennedy -- hence the awkward laughter when Caroline recited the line, "touching me, touching you" back at the singer during the Kennedy Center Honors event last night.

Diamond insists there was nothing pervy about the song -- in 2007, he explained, "It was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony ... It was such an innocent, wonderful picture, I immediately felt there was a song in there."

Still, kinda weird ... right?

honesty

I am creped out too. Geez, even if the first inspiration came from the innocence of Caroline Kennedy, 4 yrs old on a pony named Macaroni, with the way it evolved into the song it became, Diamond was an idiot to ever admit that it had anything to do with a 4 yr old child. At that point, it had nothing to do with her, I hope. I always thought Neil Diamond was gay(which I never cared about), but now I am wondering if he is a pedophile. GEEEZZZ.

tellmeaboutit

Weird?? No, not at all. TMZ's slackers and ole Harv seem to be in stupid mode lately (stupider than usual, I mean.) Grow the hell up!

Ela

If anyone has ever been to a Neil Diamond concert they would be hep to his lyrics. Touching you is not pervy. It is communicating. Jus*****ch the hand language that goes on at a ND concert. He is a master at communicating with his audience. Love You. Neil!

Ela

Neil Diamond is a class act. He is an American Classic. There is nothing perverted about his lyrical genius in the song named for Caroline Kennedy. His connection with his audience is amazing. Anyone who has been at his concerts knows this.

billybob

In the lyrics it says:

"Hands, touching hands, reaching out
Touching me, touching you"

This sounds physically enough to me!

And further:

"Where it began, I can't begin to know when
But then I know it's growing strong"

Obviously he's not talking about just seeing that little girl. It's more like an obsession which started a long time ago...maybe his penis is growing strong too at that moment.

hmmmm.....

Rosie

Nothing creepy about Neil....I love him!!

Debra Miller

This is a man that probably either had a little girl at the time or wants one really bad. Anyone can touch someone with their eyes which is what Neil Diamond I feel is saying and probably writing in his mind while seeing a picture of Caroline Kennedy. He should know he wrote the song. The mind has to really stretch to see this any other way. The Kenndys were a member of Camelot where anything was possible. A great time to be living.

Cooper

I'm done with TMZ - are all of you guys 13-year-olds?
You are all bunch of Beavis & Buttheads.......

Andrew

"sentimental me, sentimental you"

ShoresLady

It was a very cute moment. There is something wrong with you if you think adults cannot appreciate and adore children in an honest, true way Caroline referenced the song without pointing to herself, acknowledging his statement without any sel****grandizement. She did fine. You on the other hand, never mind.

Raejean

TMZ and anyone else who tries to make this song about pedophilia are just a bunch of sick f**ks.

There is a world out there where this tweaked-up perverted crap isn't a constant, desperate source of amusement and conversation. Try it sometime.

Gavriel smith

I am saying right for the statment of Neil diamond .
Paula Young Coupon Code