Neil Diamond Honored by Caroline

'Touching You, Touching Me'

The Neil Diamond-Creep Debate

12/28/2011 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

122811_tmzlive2

Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" sounds kinda creepy when you realize it's about a 4-year-old Caroline Kennedy -- but we reveal the truth behind the seductive lyrics.

And, Rachel Uchitel's baby registry ... Harvey is flabbergasted over a $1,000 stroller, $300 breast pump and a $500 high chair... but parents call BS on Harvey ...
TMZLive-Download-Podcast-Graphic

(1:00) Neil Diamond and his inspiration for "Sweet Caroline" -- Caroline Kennedy -- come face-to-face ... and it's awkward.
(3:10) Could this be the photo of a young Carline that put Neil's creepy wheels in motion?
(6:03) Caroline's intro for Neil ... quite "touching."
(7:00) Neil ups the creep factor at the award ceremony.
(8:10)  Epic songwriter Seth Swirsky is on the horn -- can he explain how "Sweet Caroline" isn't as weird as we think?
(24:00) Breaking news! Deion Sanders' daughter RIPS into his soon-to-be ex-wife Pilar ... calling her a "gold-digging ho."
(26:04) Rapper Common says he'll make a prenup decision when the time comes -- we'll tell you why he should make it now.
(35:00) Speaking of Neil Diamond ... he got FLEECED in one of his divorces ... and he still isn't into prenups!
(37:03) Rachel Uchitel -- the pilgrim of mistresses -- is all knocked up! Time for Harvey to argue about something he knows nothing of ... buying baby products.

brokeankle

I know people that live in the projects that have those expensive strollers!! I would never pay that much!!!

brokeankle

She should be worried about her HUSBAND TOUCHING THE MAID!!! lol

Barb

look what happened to Paul M. his kids didn't like his 2nd wife, they were right about her

KnuckleDragger

I'm sure something about the Kennedys "touched" Neil Diamond, it touched all of us that were there. It's an American tragedy and great history, but...despite what Diamond says...I think Diamond took license and opportunity to say the song was about Caroline Kennedy. Here are the lyrics...you decide whether it's about a little girl:

Sweet Caroline lyrics

Where it began
I can't begin to knowing
But then I know it's growing strong
Was in the spring
And spring became a summer
Who'd believe you'd come along

Hands
Touching hands
Reaching out
Touching me
Touching you

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good
I've been inclined
To believe they never would
But now I

Look at the night
And it don't seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two

And when I hurt
Hurting runs off my shoulders
How can I hurt when holding you?

One
Touching one
Reaching out
Touching me
Touching you

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good
I've been inclined
To believe they never would
Oh no no

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good
Sweet Caroline
I've believed they never could
Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good

ascott

These guys are damn crazy. Military family here and we there is NO WAY we would have spent $500 for a stroller. Ours was like $150. I use my stroller all the time it pushes great and has a ONE button release and I can break it down and put it in the trunk in under 30 seconds.

It is a HUGE status symbol.

Joe Hoppel

Harvey I Luv ya but you are making way to big of a deal about the sweet caroline thing. I watched the show last night and I didn't see what you saw. I think she was out of here element when she was on stage with all the performers last night. The Big deal last night was Lionel Ritchie Changed the Lyrics to Neil Diamonds "I am I said" He made it about him and not Neil. Not a classy move.

PatinNJ

Well wasn't that a coincidence - he made the public statement that the song was about her, which generated all kinds of press, and then a few weeks later she announced that she was running for office. Nice try but the plan failed though when she opened her mouth and started talking, she's an absolute dolt; also she ate as a pig would when they showed her dining with other politicians.

Bethany

I read an interview with Neil Diamond not too long ago and he talks about the background of this song. He was inspired by the photos of Caroline Kennedy but the song itself was written for his wife. Relax people.

kitnplayn

Neil Diamond is a straight up liar. He was on the Caroline show saying it wasn't written about anyone specific, just that it flowed well, and then a couple of years later when Caroline Kennedy turned 50, he's all over the place saying he wrote the song about her. I wonder which time he was lying. Liar. Liar. Liar. Creepy American Liar.

David in Bangkok

Harry goes nuts over all things Kennedy. The salacious photo and story of someone who TMZ was 100% positive President Kennedy was partying and ended up eating crow and insulting the survivors of Kennedy clan. Harvey goes ape sh*t over Arnold and Maria's divorce and possible reconciliation. His voice goes high and is freaking out over a simple news story, preaching his values and indignation. I would expect Perez Hilton to go full bitch but Harvey should remain calm and balance the reports, staying out of attack mode if someone disagrees with him. Now Neil Diamond. Shouldn't Harvey also report that when he worked in his fathers liquor store he took Playboy off the newsstand and did who knows what with it in the bathroom 20 minutes at a time?

Kathy

Leave Neil Diamond alone. He is a gret performer. His songs are music. Not the crap that comes out of rappers aka rapers.

Cooper

I am done with TMZ. It has turned to crap!

Luckygirl105

That song makes me feel so creepy. It is a wonderful classic, but he really shouldn't had said that he inspired her. Even if she just inspired it, he should have known people were going to take it the wrong way. One of those people was Caroline Kennedy herself.

Luckygirl105

i made a mistake on my last comment it is she inspired him

Luckygirl105

I would get a prenup, but if the person I love is offended by it then they are not my true love

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments