Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Mary

For those who seem to think he's been mooching her money, you obviously don't realize that Brand has had a VERY lucrative career in British comedy. He doesn't need her money. And while I'm sure he can be a self-absorbed brat like many celebs, she showed ABSOLUTELY NO REGARD for his sobriety issues. She still wants to be a hardcore party girl. At any rate, both got a fair amount of publicity from the match, and will from the split as well.

Carl

Russell seems unbalanced. Katy is clearly emotionally unstable (remember the concert at her old high school?). So this is no surprise.

Kevin

Thank god, she can do much better then him, He is one ugly and stupid SOB

Jodi

On December 2nd, he was happily married and would be so until death do them part....now on December 30th HE filed for divorce. Evidently Russell lied to Ellen or he's the dumbest goof on this planet.

This is no surprise to us, we knew a divorce was just around the corner.

Lisa G

That makes me so sad. I wanted them to work. I hope Russell is still clean. I could see that issue tearing them apart. Well, and Katie's young too. I hope they reconcile before it's final. I was really rooting for those two.

Don Livingston

BOY.., DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING!!!!......HA!!!donllivi

coop666

He's divorcing her because she's a chick. Just sayin...

Kaysquare

They're both idiots.....too immature to work at saving a marriage that was doomed from the start.

Jleigh

She must have done him dirty...

Ed

Why do celebrity publicists always lie?? We know what's already going on, just admit it or STFU & let it play out. You just said less than 3 hours ago, definitely not talking divorce, but it's obvious not only they talked about it but he was already signing the papers so stop lying.

Marie

Katy Perry can dedicate her song 'The One that Got Away' to her soon ex husband Russell Brand.

Areader

Saddening news!

David

So much for your "inside sources" who just this morning insisted there was no divorce coming...Gotta love TMZ, always first with the facts!

Nicoleasm

I used to think them ever getting together to begin with was bad, b/c he's really out there, and crazy(and sometimes not in a good way)...Then I thought, well she's crazy too, singing about kissing girls, the way she dresses, her ridiculous make-up..maybe they DO belong together. But I guess two crazies don't make a relationship

The Love Sponge

How much longer do we have to put up with Russell Brand?