Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Thomas

I have no idea why people who put so much work into their careers think that can just sail through a marriage with no effort...it boggles the mind....

Thomas

Scott Russo

It has to be that one of them wanted kids and the other didnt. watch one of them will be quickly pregnant in their next serious relationship

yeahright

What a stupid guy!!! She's so gorgeous!!!! I'd marry her in a second! Love you Katy!

Breathless

...And yet GAY PEOPLE are the ones that make a mockery of marriage? Uh, I think not...I think the heteros did a fine job of that all on their own (I'm looking at YOU, Kim K., Katy, Britney and all of those other females that look at marriage like a joke). Whatever happened to for better and for worse? Vows aren't just lyrics to a silly pop song. As someone that would LOVE to marry my partner of several years, these straight people are really starting to tick me off.

gill

She is talentless and annoying. Staging those pictures in Hawaii prob didn't help either.

bobbz

KATY PERRY HOLA AT MEE

doggee

where does it sat Oct "32"???

Angelica

hmmm, didn't Austin also say how great his marriage was on Ellen. Just a thought Ellen, lie detectors, new stage accessory...

Kerrigan

I KNEW IT!! I knew they wouldnt last.I win $400.00 bucks. WOOOOOoHOooOo

TV

Is it true that he is gay and coming out?

Otto

Too much bliss seems to kill marriages...

justlikethesoup

does anyone know Katy's number so i can let her know I am available?

Dork

Well, who wrote the story at 9:30 this morning stating it was not going to happen? Come on, check your facts with reliable sources.
Dork

Jeff Dranetz

Russell Brand is a recovering Alcoholic. Katy Perry is at that stage where she likes to party, While I do not think she ever tried to get him to drink, he just can not be around people drinking. It's too strong a temptation.