Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Rocco

You just told us they're not divorcing. WTF ??

reddancergal

Jumped into the marriage, jumped into the divorce. Can't they wait until calmer to decide on this? Bloody stupid to throw in the towel after a big fight when they've only just got married.

matt

I wonder how cute Katy thinks his British accent is now?
Also, want to thank Rus-Kat for keeping the institute of marriage sacred.

greg

he's annoying. he filed before she filed i never believed he could handle that any ways.

Barb

Was hoping they'd somehow make it. I just hope he stays sober.

Brien

Sweet! Katy's back on the market. I'd love to tap that.

Paula

I'm sorry..... but Russell Brand is just one creepy dude.

She's baaaack

To be honest, even a bag over his head wouldn't do it. Was she even able to consumate the marriage without being ill?

you people make me sick

Not surprised in the least

den packstone

katy:will you marry me???

Rockachaw

So, um, maybe this is a bad time to ask, but ANYBODY GOT HER PHONE NUMBER? I NEED A DATE FOR NEW YEARS!

Annie

counting on all of your fingers again, are you?

Heather

I don't know why, but this celebrity divorce really bothers me! I loved these 2 together. I'm a huge fan of both. You could just see how much they loved each other. I'm so sad for them.

Msaleze

Honestly, it lasted longer than I thought. Too bad, though, they're a cute couple. Fame does strange things to people; they can't seem to see beyond themselves; not good for marriage.

jack

perhaps if celebrity's married people for love instead of attention, their marriages would last longer.