Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

JOHN

The Divorce comes as no surprise......she should have put 2 and 2 together and realized that Russell is as talented as Hugh Grant.....and in Hollywood that's no saying very much! Katy....you thought he was more than what he turned out to be.....time to move on now!!!

Kris

Here´s what I think! I think Russel decided to dump Katie because she has been playing games. They probably had an argument that spiraled out of control. She went to Hawaii instead of celebrating Christmas in England, as planned. Then she didn´t wear her wedding ring when she was in Hawaii, and in addition was pictured with other guys. I think Russel finally had enough after not being able to communicate with her. To all of you saying that she is the bigger star! SO WHAT? He is very popular here in Europe and we would love to have him back where he belongs. I don´t think Russel plays games and I think he finally had enough of the **** you behavior!

EllieS

Too bad Katy wasn't adult enough to realize that partying like a mad fool or like her BFF Rihanna was showing a complete lack of respect for Russell, who is recovering alcoholic. I give him kudos for sticking it out as long as he did.

patty

what a shame - she was to good for him, now if they had no prenup, i bet he tries to take her to the cleaners

Jillian

She must be really bad for a nutcase like Brand to want to divorce

Dave Harvey

Russell Brand looks like Jesus with his long dark hair and beard.That might explain why Katy was attracted to him.

ok

This guy has so many women literally throwing themselves at him.. bound to happen.
Leads me to a question to women: why do you guys throw yourselves at guys, then b8tch that they're womanizers?

en Todo Momento!!

oh he's a total ladies man. he can get whatever chick he wants!!! no loss here for him.

Reeves

Rofl oh "hollywood"

IceGypsy

Ahhh that's to bad. They were so cute together, and seemed to bring the good out in each other.

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Ha ha this idiot Brand is just another rich famous loser who can't manage his women. I never would have let her big hot breasts out of my sight for a minute, and now another man is enjoying them.

tellmeaboutit

Their freak show is over? What a surprise.

55vineyard

He has weird eyes.

QE2

Uless there is an iron-clad prenup, I have a feeling this is going to cost her big time. She has had a couple of big hits in the last year. He may have made movies, but the residuals won't be nearly as much as hers from the last year. Relationships come and go, but this guy could have a piece of her fortune forever after only a year of marriage.

Polly

Darn - this was one couple I thought had a chance. They didn't rush into it, and seemed like they were good together. Too bad.