Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

PokerStar

Katy seems like she is the monogamous type. She will slim down and be on the prowl for a new man, looking even hotter then she already is. It's too bad Russell has thrown in the towel already. I guess he doesn't have any fight in him to even try either?

Katy is a natural beauty and I can't wait until she get's out of her cartoon shtick costumes she wears when she sings. Her Pop songs are to make $$$ with now and when she matures some she will release some great music. She is a good singer, even though I don't care for her Pop stuff.

She will learn from this and I look forward to hearing her mature music. You go girl !!

jc

I'm just wondering why he filed in LA, if he lives in the UK, and they got married in India. She had to have made more money than him. And Cali is a 50/50 split from date of marriage. I got a feeling this one could be ugly if there isn't a really good prenup.....or pay-off.

Dylan

who will be tity ******* her next? i say leonardo dicaprio.

pancake

Brand cites "irreconcilable differences."
is that gay for british

cokeandpilates

I think one thing that was very telling was her quote that she still loves drinking alcohol. Um, Sweetie, if your husband is a recovering addict, don't you change your habits and try to support your spouse? Seems like either she's very selfish or just doesn't care. Just saying...

Marg Helgenbergerhelper

Poor, stubby Russell. I've heard of some taking your hand in marriage, but this is ridiculous.

Freda_67

100% his loss, now Katy can be hersel****ain. Brand was probably thinking green card. She can do much better, he's totally let himself go since last year..YUK

Nesrine

One word: *******. You deserve much better Katy <3

R James

After the engagement parties, wedding showers, rehearsal diner, rehearsal party ,wedding pictures, seating charts, engagement gifts, rings, bachelor parties, dress fittings, tasting cakes and all the attention the princess gets goes away, she gets bored and wants out. You're getting off easy Russell, you'll be doing movies and she will be on American idol or selling junk on infomercials. Congrats man.

Buster

I'm on team Katy.
I am so happy she is available now. "So you're saying there's a chance."

Claire

Well she tweeted on the 27th and added twit pics her wedding ring and engagement ring are pretty visible then so one has been wearing theirs at least. Butit si a shame :(

nof

I'd like to see her and Snoop settle down.

watching

She is so un-interesting and plain. He just woke up and realized she's all hype and definitely not worth it.

Freda_67

100% his Loss, Katy!! Now you can be yoursel****ain, Who knows,,maybe he was thinking green card. You can do much better, he's totally let himself go since last year..YUK.

Greg

Wow what a surprise another Hollywood divorce.