Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Shes

Looks like Russell wanted out, I hear he is not a very nice person and he was seen before getting cozy with another woman perhaps he just can't keep it in his pants for one woman..who knows.

Scallywag

Who can be sure what ignited the demise of this fantasy admittedly quixotic relationship and yet so much of us were invested in these two, married to the hip with the couple and there may be part of the problem- being married to another action star with the public hanging by your lapel might have disenfranchised one man who was seeking a love affair with a woman. Not the collective aspirations o*****ung ho public.

ginni

Is he dead now? Look at what this guy says to Ellen in Dec 2011 and then files for divorce in dec2011. celevrities are fickle and they say what they feel. now he should go and marry kim k. I never saw what makes him a leading man. he acts like a drug addict.

cincochica2

i dont know what every one else is reading but it says the 23rd of october. So why does everyone keep saying the 32nd?

Michael Jackson Was A Pedo

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
She's WAY too f'ing hot for that douche.

Sonja

She also dated Travis McCoy from Gym Class Heroes, he even had her in a video. He dumped her as well. She's always stuck me as fake, and not just her singing but she tries too hard to act all peppy and cute in interviews and at awards... you can almost literally see her turn it on and off. I also find her very hypocritical.. talking about her Christian beliefs but doing Teen Age Cupcake Cream videos...other artist aren't real because they rely on shock.. then she starts with the dyed hair and weird clothing. Hate that kind of thing. High Maintenance indeed.

bophus

russ is funny as hell and katy is hot as hell. she seems like she has a great personality and he seems like he is fun as crap. i would have loved to hang out with them.

wendy

I never thought those 2 would part, I'm sorry to hear that. This guy is a catch for any woman. I feel confident saying that all (or most) females will get what I say when I say "he gets it" he understands women, and it reflects in the way he treats them. For those who made remarks about TMZ just posting that they are not splitting, I'm guessing that you all do not understand that neither was ready to announce their split, and that their resources were faithful to that..... can't fix stupid, obviously, these are the people that "don't get it"

Vanessa

He acts so gay. I thought he was just using her for his US entrance and interests. He should be deported.

Straight Talkin Texan

I feel like Brand is mad at Katy for something and is "punishing" her by filing for divorce. NOT smart. I hope they work it out. I feel like they're a good couple.

Jennifer

Katy's karma bus just ran her over, haha! She used Travis McCoy to get her face and name in his video and he took her on tour and then she cheated on him with Russell Brand and then dumped Travis. She totally deserves this.

bring back recent posts

..Russell is a nutjob..plain and simple..I hope Katy finds true love in TIME...NOOOOOOO RUSH !!!!!!

PatinNJ

This was over when he tweeted that picture of her without makeup.

Pam

I might be reading too much into what he actually said on Ellen but it sounds to me like he was making a point of saying HE is happily married to Katy, not the other way around. Also when he says until death, I'm still alive, as if to say he kept the pledge and she didn't. I'm gathering that she may have been running around or looking to get out of the marriage and he just pulled the trigger out of anger/hurt.
That's my two cents

2ejav2

I get it, he's worth half as much and she's calling the shots,cause of her money, but he's a man and wants to be the head of the house, so they fight, and is rebellious not realizing that he just wants to be affirmed, so he's hurt and says it's over, she may not realize it but it's a sign he loves her and this is it, she either chooses marriage as a partnership or it's over. Men are men, women are women. Marriage is marriage, not, I'm the boss from each. It's a team effort. And that's the way it is.