Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

PhillyChitChat

Still incredibly sad. I really thought they would be the quirky couple to make it.

trinity911

He's wicked smart, and funny. She's an autotune with a boob job.

They got together because they made out upon meeting at the MTV music awards.

Who expected this to last?

Roxanne

did not see that coming.... I thought those two were going to last a life time..... Yeaaaaaaaaaaa RIGHT!!!!! I told my daughter one year ago, when they got married, they would be divorce one year latter..... Need to pick up my winnings.... lol :)

flamoon

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO I REALLY like those 2.
What a shame. Come on you two WORK IT OUT !
YOU PROMISED.

Shauna

So he went on Ellen's show and said "Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I'm still alive." So does that mean he is dead now? Or maybe Katy Perry is? Hmmm.

DN

I can't say I didn't see this one coming. I always thought they were an odd couple. I think Katy Perry is SO beautiful & talented....Russell Brand? Not so much! I don't find him funny & he always looks sweaty & dirty to me. Yuck!

cosmkdbree

Pick me Katy!!!! :-D

Teresa

YAYYYYY...I STILL have a chance!!! WOO HOOOOOO. best birthday gift ever

wtf?

Oh no! Who's going to make her feel like she's living a teenage dream now? Who's going to build a fort of sheets with her now? Please. All the crap with the India wedding and all. Who didn't see this coming?

Percheron1

irreconcilable differences...meaning they both want to be on top...LOL

w

wow 5 days after Christmas and 2 days before the new year, Wow russel you just gave super Pr.i.ck a whole new meaning.

dbella

Doubtful. He's out of the country at the present time and you cannot file a divorce complaint without the Plaintiff's signature. Ergo, I call bull****.

Debi

Everybody said it was coming. Sad. I like them both but maybe not together. Not too late to move on. Lasted longer then kim the whore though.

Johnny Carcinoma

Heh.

Nadine

Unless TMZ changed the mistake, i dont see anywhere that it says they were married on October 32nd. It says October 23. And it's too bad that this is true. Love them both.