Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Mr. Klaw

I'm not really a fan, but these two seemed like a good couple. I was kinda rooting for them. This is too bad.

Sparky

You're idiots. TMZ is based on rumors and gossip from their "sources" obviously all sources are NOT credible, but you don't know until you weed them out! TMZ is doing their job by reporting Rumors and gossip.

idiots

he looked like he wanted to punch her in the neck at the MTV music awards, when she was acting all wacky. Yeah, I knew that night he was over her.

Ralph

This sucks! I like Katy Perry's album. It's been a long time since 5 songs made #1 from the same album. How could Russell Brand leave a "teenage dream"?

Janet

Since they spent hardly any time together, I guess this was inevitable. But I regret it, since this was a celebrity couple I actually liked. I think they starved their relationship in order to overfeed their careers.

Derek

This is about as unexpected as the sun rising in the east or setting in the west.

Celebs continue to engage in totally incompatible relationships. The ones I respect are those who don't legalize these superficial hook-ups--that only serve to make a mockery out of marriage.

There's a reason Celebs are no longer Role Models.

NoBozo

Oh damn, I wanted this one to work out.
So, who did what to whom and why?

VladZu

I am sure the divorce filling wasn't at all funny... get it? Because Russel Brand isn't AT ALL! I am sure the divorce filing displayed no talent either...

oh pleazzzzeee!!

Wait how long do you have to stay married for a green card?

pizza

She is probably more straightforward than she admits to herself and he is probably more flaky than he admots to himself.

idiots

um...she spent her xmas with cokehead marcus molinari instead of her recovering addict husband. If I was Brand I would have filed too. she's an idiot the way she went on and on about being soooo drunk at the mtv music awards, when Brand had to give a speech in rembrance of Amy winehouse, someone he admired and a fellow recovering addict. She's foolish. Beautiful, but foolish and it's understandable why he ended up leaving.

stargazer

Further proof that your "sources" aren't very reliable. Their "Oh we're not having problems" thing was pure BS. They've had major issues from the get go, I'm shocked they were married this long. They've both been talking to divorce attorneys for awhile, this isn't a shock at all.

Anon

I thought these two were really cute together. I don't think he really wanted to divorce but I think she pushed him to it, which is surprising considering his history. But he was doing the denying in interviews and she was the one posing for pics in a bikini over the holidays to make him jealous.

Sal Governale

I gotta say I'm amused by all these comments about "typical celebrity" stuff. Yeah, because "regular people" never get divorced or get involved with the wrong people to begin with. Riiiight...

Manda

The only shock to me was the marriage and that it lasted this long. They seemed mismatched and never truly in love.