Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

karri

It's too bad that celebs put earning more and more and more money ahead of their marriage! A couple should never be apart as much as they are in Hollywood land...

ralphie the one-eyed

Yea! Now Katy can marry Elmo!

Laura

Guess your sources that said they aren't getting divorced are the same ones that tell you Lindsay is turning it all around. You're slacking TMZ.

Allison

This actually makes me very sad. I thought they would be a couple that would last. Bummer

R.Rod

Thats sad to hear....

n

He's repulsive EWeeew

AG

Really. So what?

Carol L

This is sad news. I really liked their quirkiness as a couple.

KDESQ

She doesnt appear to have been respectful of him as a recovering addict and all that entails. Also, she is NOT PRETTY without the makeup/hair. She looks like an average girl with big tits in her bikini. Nothing special. This is all marketing people. She is a trollop.

RICH

good for her, she is too pretty to be with a creature like him.

Pimpcessa

He always grossed me out, and she always looked beautiful. But seems as though she wasn't ready to be married to a man with real issues (i.e. addict issues).

But, you know the old saying..... "No matter how sexy or hot they are, someone, somewhere is TIRED OF THEIR ****!"

Peggy

Another one bites the dust. I don't know why these celebrities just don't live together, they all date the same people etc. and with conflicting projects they are rarely together. However, I was a Navy "brat" whose Dad was in the military and they were hardly together, but when he came home we had nice celebration, and they stayed happily married untill he passed away. To these people who get married for an hr or 72 marriage is a joke I don't know how you can marry someone you love, and divorce before a year is even gone. Maybe it's sexual, but they couldn't have fallen out of love that fast, just because they had different careers at different times. Is being in real love with your spouse passe'?

tammy

"I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive." ---- This is such bullsh*t now >_<
cant believe they're over :O

Fat Mike

Gee, what a surprise. pffft
It'll be good to see Russell out and about raising hell again.

mills

Why do celebrities even bother getting married?