Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

Pebblebeach

She can do way better...sorry about the divorce...Call me Katy

debbie

thank goodness. she is way to good for him. he is an uber gobber. yuck. good luck to you katy.

Strokadellic

I guess he finally heard one of her songs.

rico

RUN KATY RUN, HE ALWAYS LOOKS LIKE A HOBO, SMELLY, YELLOW TEETH. NEVER SAW WHAT SHE SAW IN HIM.

fargone

First Kim and Kris and now this. I'm devastated. I called my therapist and made an appointment to help me get thru this.

CountryGal

Is anyone going to talk about their age difference or does that just get mentioned when it's an older woman and younger guy? Atleast Demi and Ashton stayed together for 6 years. Brand and Perry suck ass!

Coco Chanel

I guess this is the season!!!

NastyBoil

Katy got tired of feeding him carrots in the morning . He's a ******** .

miguel

who cares? russell brand suks b@lls!!!

Cheetara

Not fans of either one, but Russell seems like he would annoy the hell out of you~and the accent doesn't help.

jujubee

she seems frigid so i'm not very surprised...
like when russel put that pic up of katy with no make up on his twitter and he said she made him take it down bc she was mad...and on american idol she was SO obnoxious to the contestants trying out
looks get old people...katy needs someone non famous willing to deal with all her bs

Princess and Aarron Leonard

ahh Russell you are such a love please try to work it out with Katy do not make divorce so easy... Marraige is not easy.. dont give up the pair of you are so worth it. I love both of your sense of humor your joy in the world and neither one of you seem like cowards take a leap and TRY

LAWRENCE

I would like to offer my motorboating services in your husbands absense. Thank you.

alphahaleman

maybe these celebs should not marry other celebs,maybe they should marry regular people who have no connections in the entertainment business and maybe their marriages would last a lot longer...just saying! :)

thudula

HE FINANCIALY ROBBED HER. Last year was Separate Income Taxes. If you support yourself, do you need a SPOUSAL CONTROL FREAK messing with your EMPLOYMENT?
LIVE TOGETHER and NO BABIES.