Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

thudula

She made him a RICH MAN. Question, as a self supporting adult do you need a MALE PARENT? LIVE TOGETHER and no babies.

Capwhan

Many people including myself knew this would end and soon! No big surpise here. But at least it was longer than Kim's farce of a marriage.

esq777

Now that Katy's marriage to that tool is over she can find a real man, instead of some unfunny douche who looks like a bum.

Eric

I can't believe how long they stayed married.

writenow

This is great news for all. He recognized her parents are religious nut cases and she won't have to be his nurse in later years. And best of all, No One Got Killed or beat up!

bliss

She is a talentless twit. I am so glad he is divorcing her.

Ray

he needs a makeover, euro-trash look is sooo dirty

CoolNerd

Way to choose, playah!

Ray

oh i forgot, to Lawrence you can motorboat me if you like

The Twin Spin Blog

We are SO upset by this news! More HERE: http://thetwinspinblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/currently-crying.html

Cara

Uh, who cares about the divorce, what happened to Brand's hand??

GOD

How surprising, the womanizer could not be tied to one skank :)

shar

Russell is looking for publicity, without Katy he is a washed up Brit looking for attention.

Cara

uh..who cares about the divorce, what happened to his hand??

nicole

I was hoping this wasn't true, I like both of them.