Rob Lowe

ABC Eyeing Him to Replace Reeg

On 'Live' With Kelly Ripa

1/6/2012 11:26 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rob Lowe could be Regis Philbin's replacement ... if ABC has its way.

Lowe just finished a two-day stint, guest hosting with Kelly Ripa and an ABC source says the honchos "loved the chemistry between them." We're told network execs have spoken with Lowe's reps about making it a permanent gig, but Lowe -- who already has a job on "Parks and Recreation" -- is non-committal.

But we just shot Rob leaving NYC at JFK airport. Our camera guy asked him, "Do you think you could live in New York?"

Rob replied: "We were just talking about that. I love New York. I love the energy. It would be a change of pace. I'm a California boy, but it could be fun."

0906_remembering_regis_footer

KnuckleDragger

I've been watching this show every morning since Kelly came to co-host. Regis & Kelly had chemistry. Regis leaving was, in my opinion, like Johnny Carson leaving. When Leno took over The Tonight Show it's never been that interesting. Face it, as a stand-up comic...Leno is sharp and kills. As the Tonight Show host...he just goes through the motions.

Can someone replace Regis? No, no one can replace Regis; so what we're looking at here is a show that's always been in flux...hoping to catch lightening in a bottle...hoping their audience was fully awake. It's a corny show with corny gags...but there are moments that are priceless, you just have to watch about 25 shows on average to catch that moment.
Regis survived these changes because he's Regis. I don't think the show will survive just by adding another co-host. This show didn't pull that high of a mornings rating with Regis. Without him I give it one season with a new co-host...and then it's cancelled.

nicole

I like the guy, but he would not be a good replacement! I use to watch this show every day, but not so much anymore.

Rhubino

I haven'*****ched the show in years, but a big part of the show (for me) was the intimate knowledge Regis had of NY, NY and the little anecdotes and stories he'd tell. And even though it's a nationally shown show, I think a local New Yorker to host is more appropriate.

grannyjan

* Correction on the network to my comment ... tkx...

I agree with a lot of peeps also... don't like Kelly's ego. Not pretty at all! Talks and squeeks too much.

Bu

Bu

I THINK TONY DANZA WOULD BE THE BEST REPLACEMENT.

Gracie

I think Nick Lachey did an awesome job! Just hope they don't bring Kelly's husband Mark on it as the new co-host. The two of them on camera makes me ill. They both are camera hungry. Watch Kelly she constantly looks down where she can see herself on the tv. She is so high on herself and I hate when she says she needs to lose weight! Are you kidding me?!

Robin

This would be the best thing that could happen to that show. Kelly needs to let him talk more, yesterday she kept talking over him and lately, she has been getting annoying.

Love Rob....he would be the reason I continue watching because Regis was that show....it was all him. Rob would be a great addition. However, he is based out of Cali and enjoys and loves his life there.

She also looks awful - she needs to stop bleaching her hair and go back to her more natural, darker color.

Toronto

Howie Mandel and get rid of ripa!

CRAZYGIRL

Kelly was in lust, with Rob Lowe on today's show! You need a strong, in your face personality for this gig! Not a pretty boy!!!Someone raw, like Artie Lange!!!

Celebrities Suck

Reeg can not ever be replace on "LIVE"..... I believe Reeg wanted more $$$ and they did not give him more $$$ so he left the show... In order for that show to get awesome ratings they have to hire a well known celeb. I believe Nick Lachey would be great, I'm sure he needs to money....

Wicksbrun

Ahhh, nothing like a little morning eye candy!!

Toronto

NO! Howie Mandel and Ripa replaced! Don'*****ch now because of her!

the sea

I watched both of his shows, and he was really great with Kelly. Probably depends on how much they offer him.

janet

I don't see Rob Lowe up-rooting his wife and kids from CA to NY as a possible replacement for Regis Philbin. For a morning TV gig in NY. Guest host when ever he's in town and schedules permit fine, as steady host, No.

Unless CBS offers Lowe a ton of money and all the freedom Lowe want's, in addition to the financial contract, I still don't see it happening.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments