« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tim Tebow

Religious Leaders Pull for

Pats to Beat NFL's Chosen One

1/9/2012 4:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0109_tim_tebow_ex

Tim Tebow
might have God on his side ... but he won't have the backing of some religious leaders in New England when the bible totin' QB takes on the Patriots in Foxboro Saturday.

TMZ spoke with a couple of holy men who are not only backing Tom Brady ... they're throwing jabs at Tebow's Broncos. Reverend Stephen Ayers from the Old North Church in Boston says, "I'm not sure God is a huge football fan but Tim Tebow is more than welcome to come worship with us on Sunday morning ... after hopefully losing to us."

Meanwhile, Reverend Amy Alletzhauser from Calvary United Methodist Church in Rhode Island tells us they'll be selling a Tebow sub sandwich at a church fundraiser this weekend. The catch? Rev Amy says it's a veggie sub "without meat, guts, or glory." Boom, God smack!

Tebow does have one brave soul backing him in the land of chowda heads -- Pastor Joseph Coppola went on TMZ Live today to explain why he's still praying for Tebow.
010912_pasteor_still

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Michael Mousse

There's a nice parable in the New Testament about praying on the street corner for all to see. Tebow is putting on a show for his own publicity and the crowd. He isn't being humble before God. God may actually care about the outcome, not because of the game itself, but because of ripples of good intentions and charitable deeds performed afterward by the winners ($$$) and losers alike.

Michael Mousse

stefanie

Where's Harvey...? he looks sleepy :P

OBAMA CLAUS

I'd thunk more football freaks woulda commented , guess they can't read this.

janet

The Denver Broncos won the football game. Their next game could turn out different. Don't know until...

trishrn

GO TEBOW AND GO GOD! I love you my Lord for being my Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost and for those that are disbelievers, they are the ones that I FEEL SORRY FOR! I will stand up for my belief in God every single day and those that have a problem for my doing so -- they are the ones with a problem. They are religious phobes and they are afraid of You, the almighty being who holds all of our lives in your hands. I thank you for holding my life in your very capable hands. I pray Tebow will not back down to these phobes either! Thank you Mr. Tebow for bringing this to light. You are a good man!!! I am lucky to live in the USA where I have the right to choose religion as part of my life! And God, the end times are here, that's for sure. There are too many things WRONG that ppl agree with today, and they ignore the right path! When that day comes, I am ready to meet my maker. Maybe some of you oughtta read Revalations! It's coming with some the ppl on here like you! Heaven will be a glorious place for those of us who are believers, too!

trishrn

Also, ppl, this has nothing to do with football. What ppl are reacting to is the word RELIGION AND GOD!!! John 3:16 is very powerful and if you don't believe that God's son, Jesus, died for your sins, then that's on you. I do believe he died for my sins and I am thankful for that. I appreciate all of the sacrifices made for me so that I may go on in my life and love of Jesus Christ and my heavenly Father. I pity you haters. And Harvey, you obviously hate conservatives and love your liberals. You are SO not a man that I respect in any way whatsoever. Given all of your comments, I am going to start boycotting you and all your sites, shows, etc, Harvey! I hope others will do the same. God bless!

Cochise

It's Boston, what do you expect? They're the most arrogant whiniest sports fans know to man. Of course even Boston religious leaders will loose their faith over a sporting event.

Jay W.

I thought the Steelers would clear Bronc's by 10. Didn't happen. Doubt they'll beat the Pats... but you never know.

Sweeter Peter Palpin

why do so many of you con-tin-you to all a man named jesus God that man god fraud! jesus was a man! god is only god! and sweeter peter palpan is now wow kapow a three life time boy! is-hint that what annoys all of the girls and guys on here un dear toward the one and only dear and clear to the one and only god all mighty who created thier man god fraud they all con-tin-you to applaud! me and pete t sweet to the two grandest anti christs find it more than any odd why people and creeples love praying to a man instead of teh one and only god all mighty who healed those people thru that man named jesus! and it will please us once we do bust on world wide tv so we can see how many of you are willing and not chilling to come on world wide tv for all the world to see and hit on a modern day lie detector test to attest you think its the skin of sweeter peter palpin all of a sud in super duper hu-min do in the 29 now wow kapow hu-min-lee impossible things and not the one and only god all migthy the one and only king of all kings thru the skin of sweeter peter palpin and not thru the skin of sweeter peter palpin! and you are all more than any PiS.S. id off cuz you all know yo peter sweeter has the by far worlds grandest win! and all of you sin-ers are take in it on your ugly smugly fugly chins and the funhy thing is you all know in the end you aint gonna win! and sin t bow!! that is him throw-king the ball! but its the one and only god all mightys call who will get their next 222 lifetimes of share and utter slime and utter and complete and even con-pete un shine! all from the one and only d vine the one and only sublime that even retards know is do-king these hu-min-lee impossible shines! and so sin t bow have all of the wine-ing and dine-oing you can for all your jealous see for sweeter peter pal-pan my modern day sweeter peter pan! cuz in your next 222 life times you are ****** dumb struck and out of mother **** king luck! with zero bucks!

val

LOL...so many of you are afraid of God and Jesus and too many are nut cases pretending to be Christians. Tim Tebow is the real deal and a great rold model for children who have crazy drugged out drunk parents who abuse them. God is real and I'm not selling anything... He's real alright and you're spilling hate when there's no reason. It's only your fear that makes you denounce God but one day you'll pray to Him too .. at the end when it's too late. Thank God for brave Tim Tebow for he's a true hero and God's blessed him. Without his actions there would be more kids out there with lousy parents who might not know God at all and this man has proven there is one to love who loves them. Scared of Tebow aren't you, you haters ... Scared and indeed you are!!!

Charles Hubbard

Tim Tebow likes to sign GB²
Is that GOD BLESS & GODDESS BLESS?
He profits off promoting GOD and promoting the pagan GODDESS NIKE!
GOD hates all other gods and goddesses... and is NOT happy with Tim Tebow
for honoring the name of the pagan goddess NIKE!!!

carly

This is the most pointless and biased article. Ask anyone living massachusetts who they think will win the game and they'll say the pats. I'm a broncos fan and even I know there's a very slim chance the broncos will win...

krazy

HOW SHAMEFUL FOR REVEREND AMY. USING GODS CHILDS NAME FOR PROFIT YET MAKING FUN OF HIM AS WELL? YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT TO H-E-L-L AMY!! BUT BEING THE WAY YOU ARE, I GUESS YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT. PRAYING FOR YOU ANYWAYS. *tebowing*

Elle

tmz, the Bible is a religious book, just like the Quran and the Torah. Out of respect, it should be capitalized.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments