Toni Braxton Hospitalized

My Lupus Flared Up, But I'm OK

1/12/2012 2:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Toni Braxton
Toni Braxton
was transported to an L.A. hospital this week after experiencing some painful "flare ups" stemming from her Lupus condition ... but the singer tells us she'll be "totally fine."

Braxton tells TMZ, "I wanted to say thanks to all my fans for their support, as I have been experiencing some flare ups with my Lupus which has me in the hospital for a few days."

She adds, "I wanted to clear the record before rumors started, and will totally be fine as I'm blessed to having an amazing family for support."

Braxton first opened up about her struggle with the disease last year -- and has been very active in raising awareness about the condition.

Lupus is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. It can affect many different body systems, including joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, the heart and lungs.

leila

i hope tony feels better because i know the feeling..my aunt has this disease and is a very serious condition but im glad my aunt is handling the situation thanx to the help of her 2 year old daughter who always brings up a big laugh and smile when she needs it the most ;)

FreeWill

"It's never Lupus"
House M.D.

DaWn03

I love you TONI! Hope u get better real soon cuz as a fan we want you around for many many more years!!..i was jus*****ching 'he wasnt man enough" and i never get tired of that song!... ;)

Samantha

Is everything for public consumption? Was there any way she could have kept this private? Sometimes its just TMI! I know that I don’t need to know everything!

KJDuren

I really wish people would learn about a disease BEFORE they decided to comment or make fun of it. Lupus is a very painful, life consuming, deadly disease. I should know, I have been fighting it for years.

DACIE TURNER

HI TONI,
I WANT TO KNOW I HAVE WATCH YOUR SHOW FROM DAY ONE AN I AM ALSO PRAYING FOR YOU TOMGET WELL. BUT I WANT YOU TO PLEASE LISTEN AN DO WHAT THE DOCTOR TELLS U TO DO. AN PLEASE TELL TAMAR TO STAY AWAY WITH ALL HER MOUTH THAT SHE GOT. U DON'T NEED THAT PROBLEM. GET WELL SOON.

Teola Anderson

I hope you get well soon.

Tbone55

I pray for a cure for lupus and all other diseases that is destroying the body immune system in the name of JESUS right now to come about to save lives and healed peoples that R struggling with these ailments,lupus,cancer,diabetes,etcs., that hit the blood stream and there is no cure for them LORD.Father GOD,you R the only one that can cure anyone that sick including Toni Braxton.My pray to the (FB) Family and country is to say a pray in behalf of her and others that sick with any ailments that is not curable as well as those that R in the name of JESUS.I love your spirit Toni and I will keep you in pray.By JESUS stripes know you R already healed,Amen!

cecile boyd

I wish for Toni all the happiness and good health in the future. I don't know her, but I truly believe she's the kind person she potrays on her show, a good person....

erizame

Best wishes to Toni for a speedy recovery! I have a friend with lupus-that's no joke! I hope she gets plenty of rest and is back in action soon with that beautfiul voice of hers (it would probably help if you limited time with that high drama queen sis of yours-TAMAR) Keep the stress down and she'll get better soon. Stay strong Toni-your true fans are rooting for you

teri

Prayers to Toni for a speedy recovery! I too was diagnosed with LUPUS & it's been a bumpy road...

khriya

I've been diagnosed 4 years ago, but I've had the symptoms for over 20 years. Until Years ago, no one knew what was wrong. It takes a really good doctor who is aware of the symptoms to take the initiative to test for an ANA ( A blood test that shows the weakness of your immune system). Anyway, I wish Toni a speedy recovery.

Mellonie

Sorry to hear about Toni! She just have to take it easy and take rest breaks when and while she's on tour. Lupus is an autoimmune disease. It mainly affects people of color and women in their child bearing years 15-40 years old, But the great thing about it is the older you get the least symtoms you'll have it's like it wears off when you hit 50. It can attack your skin, tissues and all vital organs if you ignore the symptoms and signs. I've been diagnosed with SLE since 1993 and have had three minor flare-ups. I've never been hospitalized or taken medication for any long periods of time. From my experience you must change your lifestyle immediately once you're diagnosed. First of all I don't eat meat, that is the number one culprit, I eat fish, mainly salmon or other seafood that's high in omega 3 fatty acids, what this fatty acid does it reduces inflammation in your body by elimating free radicals that cause arthritis it also prevent other vital organs from being affected. Secondly, reduce stress by exercising at least 5 days a week, walking, cycling or aerobics any activity will reduce stress levels. Thirdly, get your proper sleep at night, Rheumatologist recommend getting at least 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep, but try to get at least eight. Last but least, if you like to drink try red wine it's healthier and made from grapes. I hope I was able explain SLE in laymans term. Good Luck to all affected!

Lupica en España

I have lupus for approximately 18 years, I currently feel quite well, although the climate we have now in Spain makes that many days I feel with many headaches on hands and knees. This might seem very common in this disease that joints suffer a high degree of inflammation. Anyway, it must be said, that each person carries the disease differently, therefore, no person with lupus is equal to other people with lupus. I sincerely hope that Tony exceed this episode and to soon return to its normal activity, it is very important to maintain a positive attitude towards the problem, and let not carry the care treatment. Best regards.

Lindsay

My prayers are going out to Tony. I also have Lupus and I know what she is going through. Hope Tony feels better soon.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments