Daniel Radcliffe

Lana Del Rey Wasn't THAT Bad

on 'Saturday Night Live'

1/17/2012 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0116-daniel_lana_BN_01
Daniel Radcliffe is coming to the defense of the singer he introduced on "Saturday Night Live" this weekend ... sorta.

Radcliffe was at the Bafta nominations ... when he was asked about Lana Del Rey -- who's been TRASHED by music critics and people with ears alike who suffered through her baffling performance on the show (below).

Radcliffe responded, "It was unfortunate that people seemed to turn on her so quickly."

He added, "I also think people are making it about things other than the performance. If you read what people are saying about her online, it's all about her past and her family and stuff that's nobody else's business."

Radcliffe concluded, "I don't think it warranted anywhere near that reaction."

Bird

She wasn't THAT bad. Whoever said "she has no stage presence" I must ask, what was she supposed to do up there? It's an extremely slow song. Was she supposed to be doing a dance routine to it or something? Come on now.

She wasn't singing loud enough, and she kept trying to match her voice to the studio edited version instead of letting her natural voice and tones flow through. Her voice did crack a few times as well. She was probably really nervous.

deleta

They need to put this show out of it's misery. Has sucked big time since the '80's.

karlew

What's the big deal? Seems that quality of performance is par for SNL

Kevin

I am glad the whole acting thing is working out for Daniel Radcliffe because he would make for one horrific bad talent scout or record producers.

jen

I really liked it.. really earthy and peaceful

Bubbles The Chimp

She is just as bad as every other artist that is currently on the top charts. So how can she be bad if she fits into the crap category of the current music scene.

nn

I thought it was lovely.

For crying out loud, I can't believe that no-talent, lip-syncing Britney Spears with one of the most AWFUL VOICES EVER is accepted and revered as some kind of legend when singers such as this young lady, who sing live and actually UNIQUE in voice and talent, get trashed. Un-fricking-believable.

Criss

I agree with Daniel.

Fat Mike

I think Letterman made the joke during the last election that "you can tell we're getting close to the election... because SNL is relevent again".
One of the worst shows on television. There's much better comedy on Youtube.

AC

I didn't think that video was that bad. Is there another one? Honestly most of the SNL performances I wouldn't rank as that good anyway...

Chelle

She was on key -- she was awkward, sure -- but she was on key, lol -- chill out :) If it's not your style of music, then fine -- but she wasn't offkey. Maybe not the best choice of song for SNL, but hey, to each her own :)

Jenny

She wasn't any worse then some of the other bands they put on SNL. She has a unique deep voice... kinda nice change from the wanna be soul female singers.

Her style reminded me of Tori Amos, not as good of course.

Mar

I thought her performance was part of a sketch for the first 30 seconds. Hilariously terrible.

Criss

I kinda liked it, and this is the first time I ever even heard of her!

She's baaaack

Even I can sing better than that, and that ain't saying much.