Widow of Flight 93 Hero:

Wahlberg's 9/11 Comments

Were VERY Disrespectful

1/18/2012 10:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0118_mark_wahlberg_ex_tmz
Mark Wahlberg
's claim that he would've been able to single-handedly over-power the 9/11 terrorists and prevent a plane from crashing is completely "disrespectful" ... so says the widow of one of the REAL heroic victims who RUSHED THE COCKPIT on that fateful day.

TMZ spoke with Deena Burnett-Bailey -- whose husband Thomas Burnett phoned her from that fateful flight saying, "I know we're going to die. There's three of us who are going to do something about it."

0118_tom_burnett_sub
Burnett-Bailey tells us, "Does Mark Wahlberg have a pilot's license? Then I think hindsight is 20/20 and it's insignificant to say what you would have done if you weren't there. "

She adds, "The plan for Flight 93 was foiled by heroes. For him to speculate that his presence on board could have stopped everything is silly and disrespectful.  Sounds like someone is grandstanding."

We called Wahlberg for comment -- so far, no word back.

John

Mark is one tough guy, when angered I have no doubt he could have done it. I'm sure he meant no disrespect. Boston is a patriotic town.

John

Mark is one tough guy, when angered I have no doubt he could have done it. But then it would have ruined the plan.

nycbunny

Lighten up Francis. He actually said "if my kids were on the flight" this would never have happened blah, blah. Who cares; I'm sure he wasn't trying to sully anyone's memory.

Nicole

He was supposed to be on that plane! I can imagine what scenarios would run through your mind if you cheated death like that; thinking of how you might have saved others. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.
Sorry, but that wife DOES NOT know that he wouldn't or couldn't have done something to save the plane. No one knows.

Babydoll0630

His comments were taking out of context. And I'm sure lot's of people fantasize what they might do in that situation especially with their children involved. They were gonna die anyways..........shoulda went for it. OH WELL!

Bubbles The Chimp

He could have played his lame 90s music in the plane speakers and the terrorists would have died from laughter.

Bud

If he couldn't, Chuck Norris could have!!

Tommy Karate

Here's a news flash: he and his brothers are complete low-lifes, who have been lying, cheating and screwing people out of money for years. If he wasn't an actor, he'd be driving a soda truck - assuming he could read enough to pass the commercial driver's license test...

URSilly

I feel like we no longer have a right to freedom of speech. His delivery was bad, but I don't think he had intention to be hurtful. He was to be on that plane, he probably went through survival guilt and he was just strongly stating that nothing would have stopped him either had he been on that plane to have tried all he could.

People are taking his words and misconstruing them as if he was intentionally being malicious.

He just had a poor delivery of his message and it is a sensitive subject.

I just feel like no one can have the right to free speech anymore, even if they have a bad delivery or impulsively respond without thinking it through. Words can impact and hurt or harm or they can heal.

I don't feel he was being intentionally malicious. He was relating that he too would have taken action. I don't think he was saying that only he could have saved it from happening.

Heidi-lyn Depper

Sounds like *somebody* has blurred the lines between reality and fantasy. Wahlberg seems to believe he's capable of doing what he's actually only able to do courtesy of some good CGI.

Somebody give Mark Wahlberg a ladder so he can get over himself. What a totally reDONKulous thing to have said.

JJ

People need to shut the hell up. Disrespectful? Are you kidding me? I feel the same way, if I was on any of those flights s**t would have not gone down the way they did.

Redskin_Chick

How ignorant for him to say that, he doesnt know what he would do in that situation, he can only 'make believe what he would of done'. Me and my friends were at a friends house and 2 guys came in with knifes (they were coming after a friends bf) and we were in shock and didnt know what to do, and there was more of us then them. No one got hurt thank God, they got what they wanted (some sort of bonds thing) and they left, it was very scary. But in that couple of mins we were literally just in shock, and didnt even think about over powering them.

May God Bless all the victims of 9/11 and their families.

Ozzie X

I'm mostly upset at the fact that he is fortunate enough to make millions on the backs of countless Americans that have died to give him that right or gave their lives in the crossfire.

Kari

What an arrogant ass Wahlberg must be. Somehow, he would have been able to do what trained pilots and passengers fighting for their lives couldn't do. Wahlberg is pathetic and must be desperate for attention.

FreakHater

I feel that the a-hole that even brought it up should be kicked in the *ss!! Sure, everyone could have there take on what they coulda, woulda done, however it's not going to change the outcome of what did happen! He didn't mean any disrespect, he was simply stating what he would have done and shouldn't be crapped on just because he made his statement!!! If it was TMZ that asked that question of him, then crap on TMZ!!!