Mark Wahlberg

Sorry for Dissing 9/11 Heroes

1/18/2012 12:22 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0118_walberg_tmz_ex_5
Mark Wahlberg
is apologizing for saying he could have rewritten 9/11 history, fighting off the terrorists on one of the flights ... and safely landing the plane -- telling TMZ, "To suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible."

Mark originally made the comments in an interview with Men's Journal, claiming, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"

But Mark admits he crossed the line -- telling us, "To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with."

Mark adds, "I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention."

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

This is the problem with sticking cameras in everyone's faces everywhere we go. Nine times out of ten people say stupid things and without cameras to repeat them endlessly on the net like some worldwide gossip column they'd be quickly forgotten. He's no different than the rest of us, and most would love to take back half the crap they've said since the internet came to fruition.

stef

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I like this apology, I like that he realizes he made an ass out of himself. It's not like he's Mel Gibson who throws comments about Jews and the 'N' word around left and right.

JonSE

Again, an actor confuses fiction with reality. I have nothing intrinsic against Wahlberg, but he is an actor and should stick to that venue. If he ever finds himself in a truly tough situation as the 9/11 passengers found themselves, then I would hope that he would do everything he could to remedy the situation, but we never know how we will respond until showdown time. Moreover, we cannot control the surrounding cir***stances and can act only withing the known options available at the time. At least he recognized the inanity of his comment and apologized, something few Hollywood types ever do, wither the recognition or the apology.

IceGypsy

Give him a break. Then man was thinking from the perspective of a parent and what he would do to try to save his children.

jujubee

What he said wasn't stupid or inconsiderate...it's the stupid people who take it as being inconsiderate. I'm pretty sure there are a whole lot of other people who feel the same way as him...nothing wrong with that. please people, stop taking every f***ing little thing to heart seriously

Pimpcessa

I don't see him as being disrespectful to the victims. If anything, he sounded arrogant to believe he could have wrestled the hijackers down and saved the day and everyone involved. Nothing more than some inflated ego, but not disrespectful. All celebs seem to buy into their own hype after a while. We might too, if we were surrounded by people telling us how wonderful we are all day, and go to those stupid awards shows every year patting ourselves on the back for acting in a friggin movie! Whatever, still not hating on him for that comment. Just appeared a little arrogant.

jlsjls1

everyone can calm down now.

Robert

Good for him I have often said the same thing. Of course now I teach hand to hand combat and am a martial art expert but he mayhave tried harder. I have discovered over the years that 99.9% of the people would do nothing and be afraid to attempt to save their own lives.

Terr

napoleon complex : A peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

Bill

Marky mark proves the substantial limitations of not only his tiny talent, but 'challenged' intellect as well. He would have pissed his pants as soon as he realized yelling 'cut' would not stop him from dying when things didn't go as they played out in his diluted mind. my only hope is what little reputation he has is ruined and we will all be spared his 1 trick bad acting pony.

sokolniki

Good actor, sexy guy, stupid human being..

Joseph

Too late, too little, Markie. Your statement is pure arrogance, self-aggrandizing, obtuse rubbish.

If he'd won the 2008 election for president, he'd say that he would've made the U.S. economy thrive, would've reduced unemployment to 0%, and would've turned Iran into being our dear friends giving us unlimited oil. What an @$$ hole.

soulofanangel

-----------------------------------------------------------
And now write your PUBLIC RELATIONS WEASEL a big check!
-----------------------------------------------------------

E domenic

I am so sick of these Hollywood losers making flippant comments then retracting their statements. You Marky mark are a loser unfit to clean the gum of any first responder or any who served that fateful day. YOU, sir are a common criminal who got lucky enjoy your millions and shut up. I will never pay a penny for anything you are involved in!

mpg

Come on, people. Don't be so sensitive! He's entitled to express what's in his mind. Don't you put yourselves in those situations too? Don't you imagine what you could have done? The difference is he's famous and now he HAS to apologize just to please some people. Where's our right of speech? He didn't offend anyone!