« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Dead at 85

1/22/2012 7:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Paterno dies at the age of 85
Joe Paterno -- the legendary former football coach at Penn State University -- died this morning at the age of 85 ... this according to his family.

His family released a statement that reads, "He died as he lived. He fought hard until the end, stayed positive, thought only of others and constantly reminded everyone of how blessed his life had been. His ambitions were far reaching, but he never believed he had to leave this Happy Valley to achieve them. He was a man devoted to his family, his university, his players and his community."

The front page of the website for the Penn State athletic department was updated with simply a picture of Paterno (see below).

0122_joe_paterno_psu
Jerry Sandusky, the longtime assistant coach facing sexual abuse allegations that led to Paterno's dismissal at Penn State, called his death a sad day ... and Paterno "had the courage to practice what he preached" about toughness, hard work and clean competition.

Paterno was the coach at Penn State for 46 years, until he was famously fired by the school last November following the sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky.

In November 2011, his son Scott announced Paterno had a treatable form of lung cancer.

JoePa, as he was known, holds the record for most victories by a Division I football coach with 409.

0121_joe_paterno_remembering_getty

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

BeSerious

It has been shown that Joe Paterno did report the allegations to the correct authorities who then dropped the ball. I think the crimes do not lie with him. Too bad he had to end his career on this sad note, as I think this will always be attached to his name. RIP. And prayers for his family.

honesty

He will always be remembered as the guy who did not do enough. A child was raped and no one checked to see if the innocent child was alive, not bleeding to death, did not have a perforated bowel, or was not murdered after he was raped to keep him silent. He was not the only one that failed that child, but Joe Paterno failed that child, and did not care what happened to him.

Casey

It is a sad day when moronic people have to make comments about someone passing away.. A man that probably, whether you know it or not, has helped someone that you know. People like you make me sick. Go hide in a whole somewhere and don't come out.

christy

Joe Paterno, big time hero because he coached football and led his teams to victory...winning football is more important than being a decent human? He revealed his TRUE character, his true cowardice shone when he failed as a Human Being to simply protect those who are most vulnerable...those who were under his wing...those who looked up to him...
And he reported what he saw... but he doesn't follow-up? His INACTION, his profound short-sightness is what is legendary about this man. Nothing more.

christy

OBAMA CLAUS

The whole story makes me vomit. My heart goes out to the victims.

karl

Good riddens Joe P.
What a discrase and a piece of trash you really were.
He was a football coach. Hello. An irresponsible one at that. His entire miserable life was not worthy of being in the presence of any of his victims. My only sadness is that he did not die in prison. I pee on your grave. Go to Hell Penn State !!!

(P)

statistics show that 96% of you people that are bad-mouthing joePa for what he failed to do are even guiltier on an everyday basis. it just makes u feel good about urself to say "oh, i woulda done this and that and i woulda saved the day" but y'all know that's a lie.

u don't pull over when u see someone in trouble, u don't donate, u don't volunteer to anything unless u have an underlying alterior motive, and u (selfishly) spend too much time on the internet!

no need to defend urselves. we all know that YOU are part of the 4% that i wasn't referring to.

Renee1011

I certainly do not wish death or cancer on anyone, but what is with the idolization of this man? How can you all ignore what he did or rather didn't do? Joe should have shouted from the rooftops about the allegations on Sandusky, but instead he watched Sandusky walk around his campus with more little boys! I went to Penn State, I witnessed first hand the power Joe had there, he could have done more. Even if it meant losing his job, he could have went out as a hero who took action and saved other kids from being hurt. But instead he turned his head and will be remembered as a coward and a disgrace.

Scott Levy

I'll remember him as the piece of garbage who allowed 100's of children to be molested and systematically tortured by Jerry Sandusky. I'm glad the evil bastard kicked the bucket!

me

How do you go to work with someone day in and day out for YEARS, after knowing what Sanducky did? Would't a person say either he goes or I go!

God-Of-Lyf

That's 85 years too long if you ask me. I hope he suffers in hell for all eternity. He's a real sack of s h ! t.

Susan

RIP Coach. However.....not speaking out was wrong! What if it was your kid? Everyone is holding him up, when the bottom line is he failed children in a way that is horrible. Is the game really sooooo important? Where have Americans' ethics and morals gone?

Bob

Shame on you penn State, and all you other inconsiderate people that have put your ignorant comments on here. He reported it to his superiors, he DID NOT do the act as some would have it look like according to there comments. You make me sick!!!! Penn State got there 4 million and the rest of you are all perfect I guess.

Deeznutts

Much love Joe. You did more for college kids then anybody else. And I love you for that. Alot more men where made than broken under you. What Sanduski did was an absolute horror. I hope your legecey is not broken because of his sick ****.RIP