« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

World Record Big Wave Surfer

I Have Superhuman

Underwater Survival Abilities

1/30/2012 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0127_garrett_mcnamara_exHe already holds the world record for surfing the biggest wave on the planet at 90 feet (below) -- but pro surfer Garrett McNamara still thinks he can shatter it ... with his incredible customized oxygen-enhanced wetsuit.

Garrett tells TMZ, the suit was enhanced with a special oxygen pocket developed by Camelback -- the water canteen company -- designed to hold a small oxygen reserve in the suit's lining, allowing McNamara to breathe oxygen underwater through a straw.

According to Garrett, the suit would give him several extra minutes of survival in case a massive wave buries him below the surface -- and in those situations, minutes can save a life.

McNamara tells us, he's currently looking to break his 90-foot wave record with the new suit -- hunting down a 120-footer in Nazare, Portugal ... where the biggest waves in the world break.

McNamara says he uses military-grade wave-tracking technology to follow the swells -- the same tech used by the Navy.

He even has a private jet at his disposal -- to make the 5-hour flight from Miami to Nazare at a moment's notice.

We asked McNamara how he knows he'll survive -- he simply replied, "I don't."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bud

Let's see if his suit can keep his spine intact when he gets slammed face first into the sand.

Metta worldhate

R.I.P.

BeHonest

For a second, I thought the title says, "Superman Underwear"! lol

Politico Pablo

I'd always heard that breathing pure oxygen underwater can be dangerously toxic. Maybe he's using an air/oxygen blend.

Canadasux

VergieFrost3497838: PF*CK-OFF!

Canadasux

I suppose if sponsors are stupid enough to endorse this guy, why not make a living off of wasting one's very short life.

cindy

That guy must have his feet glued to that board. haha.

LOL

OLD NEWS-OLD NEWS- Surfing world has known this for some time. Need to keep up in the world TMZ - Stop filling your rag with late information

BB

He's a tool. Disrespectful show-boating bastard.

Justin Turtle

PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD THAT CAUGHT IT WHEN MAX SAID "YOU CAN'T GET CRABS FROM THE OCEAN". I ALMOST PEE'D LAUGHING!!!!

Bobo

What a hottie!! We got big waves right here at Swamii's!

Seriously wtf

I taught him how to do that.

Kevin Keenan

Garrett is definetly superhuman , His Work With Surfers Healing , and other charities , Makes him Bigger than life ! It's only natural that he towers above most of us , as a Human and a Surfer !

Not so bad

I heard he also has a movie coming out where he chases those crazy dangerous waves from the glaciers breaking and falling...Who does that??? What can't this guy ride!. This guy definitely deserves to hold the world record. HUGE BALLS!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2