Don Cornelius

Commits Suicide

2/1/2012 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Don Cornelius Dead of Suicide at 75
Don Cornelius
-- who famously created "Soul Train" was found dead in his Sherman Oaks, CA home this morning ... and law enforcement sources tell us it appears he committed suicide.

We're told cops discovered the body at around 4 AM PT. Law enforcement sources tell us ... Cornelius died from a gunshot wound to the head and officials believe the wound was self-inflicted.

We're told Cornelius was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

"Soul Train" changed the landscape of television when it debuted in 1971 and ran until 2006.

020112_don_stillvideo platform video management video solutions video player

Officials have notified Don's family.

Cornelius was 75.

During Don's bitter divorce proceedings in 2009, he told an L.A. judge he was suffering from "significant health issues" and wanted to "finalize this divorce before I die."

Cornelius was arrested in 2008 for beating up his wife. He pled no contest to misdemeanor domestic violence and was placed on 3 years probation. His probation just terminated.

The divorce was granted in 2010.

Sources close to Don tell us ... the TV icon was plagued with health issues for years ... including a stroke and a condition that required brain surgery.

update_bar
8:10 AM PST --
Shawn Holley -- Don's lawyer and good friend -- tells TMZ, "This is devastating news. Don was a kind, funny and brilliant man. Even though his many health battles had left him frail, he remained vibrant, courtly and always sharp as a tack."

0201_don_cornelius_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Rwm101

Don ain't kill himself. It was animosity that killed him, with a fake suicide. Always worried about somebody dating a white person. If I did what others told me to do, I would be a robot.How about you, in a robot society. Don't no mf tell me what to do. Im my own man, I do as I please.

RUEBEN RUFUS

DON CORNELIUS WAS A ICON TO BLACK PEOPLE AND HE WIL BE DEARLY MISSED. HE OPENED DOOR FOR BLACK ENTERTAINERS TO BE RECOGNIZED AROUND THE WORLD,. HE WAS A GREAT MAN!!!

Marilyn Morcilio

R.I.P don I always love washing soul train when I was a little girl as I was growing up I went to my iPad and look u up again R.I.P

LaQuita

So sad.

PsychoZoid

Rest in peace, Don. You have made a legacy. ;)

maria feliciano

Its so sad to hear of ur passing..May you rip

Janie

I was one of the "little white girls" who danced on the side. Because the music was better..more fun..made you want to "move"... One of the best compliment I ever received was when someone told me I dance like "a black girl" - that was in 1968...I liked "white" music too..I Loved it all...I feel like I got the best of all music worlds growing up when I did..American R&R, "black" music..R&B, jazz, blues, Do Wop, standards..British invasion, even the cartoons played classical..we got it all...but R&B has a special place in my heart.
Music ties all races, colors, ages, and nationalities, together... So sorry and sad for his family. Always sad when a life is lost, especially when that life touched so many...made made a difference in so many lives.

Robert Gubbins

It doesnt matter what race you are the whole point was to celebrate diversity and found a way to tie generations with music that most cultures will accept i am caucasian and i admit that i watch the program even though it came many years before i knew what entertainment was

Robert Gubbins

To me it does not matter how his life ended but will be forever grateful for the entertainment and voice provided over the years

Valerie Crumpton

this is sad we loose whitney and now this is crazy R.I.P.

Stubbycat

I guess money cannot buy happiness. Hmmm, I would think that much would at least make one of my house payments.
I bet life is hard after you beat your wife and dog. Does he get a better place in heaven? ...or do peolpe that beat up on women have a special place to go.

Veda B. Jenkins

Don was a great American icon. He gave so many people something to do in the early 70's, 80's and 90's when there wasn't much to do in those days especially people of color. I want to wish him "LOVE, PEACE, and hope he "Resting in Peace". My condolescences goes out to his family, I wish them "Love, Peace, and much Happiness". I hope he is having a "Stone Gast Honey" his favorite closing on Soul Train. My children, and their children has grown up watching his famous show that he started. I feel many generations will continue to love Don's Soul Train show. After Don left I didn't watch much, I love the "Ole School Shows" PEACE n LOVE, to him my hat's off to him!!!!!

Matt

This is so horrrible, I have been a big fan of Don and man it was too early for him to go. peakgenius.com

Joseffa

This was a great loss for all of us. He will always be in our hearts. May his soul rest in peace. seo

Stefanie

This man's a legend. We miss you! autovermietung in basel, schweiz

Previous 15 Comments | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16