Don Cornelius

Ex-Wife Scores Huge

Life Insurance Payout

2/1/2012 1:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Viktoria Chapman Cornelius
Don Cornelius
died with 2 life insurance policies worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the ex-wife he hated will get all the money ... TMZ has learned.

Don's breakup with Viktoria Chapman Cornelius was brutal. He was convicted of domestic abuse and, according to him, she pepper sprayed him multiple times.

During the divorce in 2009, Don said in legal docs obtained by TMZ, 'I am 72 years old. I have significant health issues. I want to finalize this divorce before I die."

The divorce was indeed finalized later that year, but there's a provision in the settlement agreement that says Don must make Viktoria the beneficiary of both of his life insurance policies -- totaling around $300,000 in benefits.

Under California law, if a policyholder commits suicide within 2 years of the time the policy is issued, the company can deny payment. But Don had the policy for more than 2 years, so Viktoria -- the woman he despised -- will get the loot.

Kelly

Whoa! It's doubtful that ANY life insurance policy pays out in the event of suicide. That's elementary. Where's Harvey?

static

I would have thought he could have afforded more that 300 grand.

BarrysConspiracyWorld

This iscertainly an interesting development. Given the brutally nasty nature of their divorce, it's not impossible that she waited the 2 years and then had him shot in the head. I certainly hope the police take a close look at this. I would think that the insurance company will as well. If she is guilty, she will get busted down to chinatown.

upanddown3

Nope, no collecting on life insurance if its suicide!.

Joeadventure

Black man Kryptonite! LOL...

Devianza

I love how no ones reading the comments by those who have an actual understanding of how these policies work. The way most work is that if you do yourself in within a two year period after obtaining the policy, there is no payout. Since Don did himself in after the two year period, the company has to pay out.

And she deserves it. I mean she deserves to get paid for letting that old dude crawl on top of her every night. No disrespect to Don but young hot women don't go after senior citizens because they actually love them.

shawn

Each life insurance policy is different, but most contain a suicide provision. The suicide provision states that if the person covered by the life insurance policy dies as the result of suicide within two years from the policy issue date then any beneficiaries would not be able to collect the death benefit. Otherwise, after the two year suicide provision period, the policy should pay the death benefit to the beneficiaries. But, again, check the policy's exclusions section, since the suicide provision can be different for each policy.

dd

She'll fly through that money in no time in L.A.

tgrfan42069

inb4 al and jessie march outside her house protesting the "white devil" getting the money.she deserves it this s*** back beat on her

Debbie

TMZ is right. California does have a law and you can collect insurance if it has been two years. All you have to do is look it up before you spout off calling TMZ retarded. Research is your friend.

DeborahL

She gets the money, she gets it 'not', whatever... To those congratulating Don for a 'job well done', it's a sin to commit murder (suicide inclusive)....just saying.

CrossWinds

My husband committed suicide 5 years ago. Not sure about other states but in mine, if he had the policy longer than 2 years, it was still valid. My husband had his for 4 years so luckily, I was able to collect. Most life insurance polices do have this stipulation.

Jodi

I looked at my insurance policy guys and I live in Calif. As long as the suicide was committed 2 years after the issue date of the policy the beneficiary can collect on the policy.

My question is if he and his wife did not get along and they had no children why didn't he change the beneficiary?

wiisad

She looks like Kim from Sex & the city

Jenny

In '08 she had to file a restraining order after he beat her. She should get more than $300K. I guess in the US, if you're a "famous" guy, you beat the crap out of your wife, and it's A-OK!