Adam Lambert

Big Queen

... Announcement

2/3/2012 11:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0203_adam_lambert_BN_01
He's paid his dues ... time after time ... and now Adam Lambert says he's been chosen to replace Freddie Mercury as the new lead singer of the legendary rock band Queen!!!! (Maybe not. See update below.)

Lambert KILLED IT with the band when he rocked out a rendition of "We Are The Champions" with the guys at the "American Idol" finale back in 2009 ... the first time he ever met the band.

30-year-old Lambert explained, "The intention is to pay tribute to Freddie and the band by singing some f*cking great songs. It’s to keep the music alive for the fans and give it an energy that Freddie would have been proud of.

So, we gotta ask ...

update_bar
Lambert took to Twitter to say the reports of him taking over Queen weren't exactly true and his quotes were "taken out of context" and he hasn't confirmed any guest appearances. He went on to say, "That being said, I'm truly flattered by your jump to such glorious conclusions mr journalist!! :)"

Woot

While NO ONE can replace Freddie in any way, Adam will be a nice edition to a Great Band That Was. As long as you take it for What It is.

victoria

I don't believe this!!! I DON'T WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saram23

This is a travesty. Marc Martel should be on this tour.

Cool Breeze

That's great, water down the band with this tinkerbell,stool pushing rump ranger.

MyOpinionOnly

Thank you to all you Marc Martel fans out there! OMG this guy is fabulous!!!! what the heck are these guys thinking with Lamebert??? Good grief Charlie Brown! I was hoping since I haven't seen or heard from him (other than lameazz song whadya want...I want you to shut up!) that he would gloriously be fading out but this decision is just horrid. I get that he idols Freddie, but for crying out loud..THEY ARE MAKING A TRIBUTE BAND WITH THE REMAINING MEMBERS! You NEED to sound like Freddie to make that work! Lamebert will NEVER EVER have 1/2 the vocal talent or charisma to bring Queen back. Marc IS the best decision and this one just plain SUCKS!!!!!!!

francisco

Not bashing Adam! Dude is pretty talented but his voice is just the wrong fit for Queen! Paul Rogers was a way better fit!

Mrs Butters

Anyone who likes this decision, should punch themselves in the crotch

Woot

Marc Martel is FANTASTIC. Sounds remarkably like Freddie, more so than Adam. But he doesn't have the stage presence. If they could combine the best attributes of both Marc and Adam, then call it a tribute, I'd be all over that.

nyc44th

This guy is no Freddie Mercury. Big mistake if Queen is even considering this as opposed to this guy just trying to get press.

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

Whatever was left of Queen already jumped the shark with Robbie Williams and the Paul Rodgers thing. The musical was the last nail in the coffin. Now this? What a travesty.

Mrs Butters

I would rather see Freddie proped up on stage with a speaker in his mouth, than see this wannabe soil their history.

Shoni

I'm so happy about this! I LOVE Adam and I Love Queen! Can't wait to see them on tour!!! Congratulations Adam!!!

tommyr

How the F&*K does Marc Martel NOT win the Queen audition over f^&king Adam Lambert??? HOW??? EXPLAIN IT TO ME. NOW. http://bit.ly/yxU2xl

Blitz

I can't believe they picked him!!! Marc Martel, check him out on you tube...AWESOME!!!!

dw

Hilarious: lambert was asked when he was on AI, and he turned it down because he thought his solo career was assured. When his album crashed and burned and his career hit a dead end, he accepts. No wonder John Deacon refuses to speak to May and Taylor. Don't these guys have enough money? Do they really need to **** on Mercury's grave one more time? This fairy isn't in the same league with Freddie: he can hit some of the notes technically, but he has no depth, no timbre, to emotion, no showmanship to even come close to Freddie. I'll be glad when this version of queen bombs as well.