Newt Gingrich

Sued for

Assault and Battery

2/4/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0204-newt-gingrich-getty-bn-1A Florida man has filed a lawsuit against Newt Gingrich and his security team -- claiming he was roughed up outside the Florida Republican Presidential Primary earlier this week ... because he was carrying a sign supporting another candidate.

In a lawsuit filed yesterday in U.S. District court in Florida, Edward Dillard claims he was just minding his own business on January 31 when Newt and his wife came strolling up to the polling place. Dillard claims he was standing outside of a canopy which had been set up with a microphone stand, when Newt and Callista came right up to him and shook his hand.

Dillard claims Newt then noticed his Ron Paul t-shirt and "immediately turned his back" to him and went on to greet other people. That's when Dillard claims several of Gingrich's security team came up to him and tried to "intimidate him into moving from the spot."

Dillard -- who says he was wearing open-toed sandals -- then claims one of the agents "lifted his heeled shoe over Dillard's right foot and dug the back of it into his skin, twisting it side-to-side like he was stomping out a cigarette, causing a fracture to Dillard's right foot."

After a minor tussle, Dillard claims the guy who stomped his foot shouted to other members of his team, "Everyone step on his toes!"

Dillard is suing Newt, the campaign and the security firm for assault and battery and seeking unspecified damages.

No comment so far from Gingrich campaign.

FLUX

I seriously doubt if this is true, but if it is proven to be true then there will be some serious jail time for the people involved. This is not the way we conduct elections in America and it is not funny. Most of the comments here are stupid.

Jason

He's quitting Tonight.

Norminha

It is Gingrich way or the highway!!

Stephen Sackett

What a bully...no big surprise here. Nothing but another loser.

John Grooms

Oh, Newty Newt. Did you step on that poor man's little toes???

Dan

This actually did happen. I read about it on Reddit about a week ago. Also I live in FL and news here travels pretty fast.

jwoolman

Don't toy with me, TMZ. Your headline conjured up lovely visions of Newt stomping on some guy outside a bar... hopefully a pap.

55vineyard

Not sure what the laws are in Florida, but in California you cannot campaign in front of a polling place, it has to be quite a distance away. Seems fair to me and I am a Ron Paul supporter.

SUPER-FREDDY

Trust me when I say that Gingrich is a bad guy!

El Ronbo

Just like Rand Paul's boys when they threw a protestor to the ground (a woman who, from the pics, looked to be maybe 5'2") and stomped on her neck.

And yes, there were charges filed. If this actually happened, then I hope there are here too.

Cartman

Newt is not a nice guy.

lynden

Newt, your lack of respect to your ex was enough for me not to vote for you. I look at your pic and see a dispicable man. I dont want you for Prez...bounce!

Founding Fathers

Ron Paul 2012

Troy

This guy was holding up a Ron Paul sign. Given the fanatical way Ron Paul supporters act, it is very hard for me to believe the guy was just "standing there minding his own business." i have encountered Ron Paul supporters, and they are very "in your face" type people. Two sides to every story, I bet the other side paints a different one. My guess is Dillard knew that Newt was going to show up there and staked out the area before he showed up then confronted Newt once he got there. I do find it interesting that no cameras caught this with the mass of cameras following Newt. Very fishy, sound like a crazy Ronbot.

CaptAmerika