« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lucky Giants Fan

I Bet on a Safety, Won $50k

... And It's All Going to CHARITY

2/6/2012 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jona Rechnitz
Just when you wanted to hate the guy for winning $50,000 on a freak Super Bowl bet -- Giants fan Jona Rechnitz tells TMZ, he's donating every last cent to multiple charities ... INCLUDING one of Tom Brady's choice.

In case you didn't know, Jona -- who runs a successful real estate company in New York -- hit the JACKPOT yesterday, betting $1,000 on the Giants to score the first points in the big game with a safety. The odds were 50 to 1.

0206_ticket_subasset
Jona tells us, he plans to donate $5,000 to Tom's charity of choice -- in the hopes Tom and the Pats will match it -- and $5,000 to the charities of choice for the Giants defensive linemen who made the safety play. Jona also wants to take Tom out for an all-expenses-paid falafel dinner.

As for the rest, Jona says he plans to divide up the balance after taxes ... and donate it to a bunch of charities benefiting the less fortunate.

Jona says he only makes one bet a year -- on the Super Bowl -- and this year, it finally paid off.

0817_poker_shark_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Gretchen

Now there is a guy with a lot of heart and compassion. And NO, he isn't an idiot!! And so what if he has alot of money, at least he is helping others and I'm willing to bet he's not behind in any child support payments like some guys we've been hearing about. And what a way to score to bet on especially since a safety has never happened in a Super Bowl........at least that is what I think I heard!

hater

This guy is so wealthy it doesnt matter. His father is a whale at the Wynn and other casinos, plays $80k hands of blackjack. Gambling problems arent a problem when money's not a problem. Whatever.

Matisyahu

WOW amazing, this guy must be a shliach of the Rebbe. What a mensch. I can only assume someone who gives this much tzedaka, from NY and has a beard is a lubavitcher. You made us all so proud. One day one day one day.

Shalom Tendler

I spotted him with his buddies celebrating the big victory at a fancy shmancy restaurant last night. Please make sure you save some for my yeshiva.

Big J

Charity?!?! I heard this HEBLEW too his crew and spent the rest of the night making it rain at CHIPPENDALE'S! Way to go jooonah

en Todo Momento!!

yah. that all sounds a little too good to be true.... dude has an extra thousand dollars laying around that he can casually bet on a football game, and then is going to donate his winnings to some charities. yeah, i look that dumb that i'm going to believe that. uh huh..

donald carroll

i really respect you for your donation to charities.i am a disalbed veteran and i think it came from your yeart.

Ellyn Gori

Hi
I am trying to get contact info for Jona Rechnitz, the $50 million dollar superbowl pool winner. I may have a charity for him to donate some of his winnings to

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3