M.I.A.

She'll Be Left Holding the Bag

If NBC Gets Fined

2/6/2012 12:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0206_mia_finger_EX_02
M.I.A. will end up paying any fines imposed on NBC as a result of her finger wag during the Super Bowl halftime show ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... the NFL has indemnified NBC ... because the NFL is responsible for the halftime content.

But the NFL was smart, given the history of performers who wanted to do something shocking to get attention during the biggest TV event of the year. So we're told ... M.I.A. signed a contract with the NFL for the halftime performance, and in that contract M.I.A. agreed to indemnify the NFL for any money it might be forced to pay if the FCC comes down on the Peacock Network.

Remember, CBS was hit with a $550,000 FCC fine after Janet Jackson's famous wardrobe malfunction, but that fine was thrown out by a federal appeals court.

Sources tell us ... aside from the fact that the NFL doesn't want to pay a huge fine, the organization wants to send a message to performers -- don't you dare screw with us.

We don't know if the NFL got a similar indemnity clause from Madonna.

Andrea

How much does anyone want to bet that most of the people complaining, didn't even notice it until it made news? If your children saw this, then they also must have seen all of the beer commercials and ads exploiting women and likening them to cars and ****. If you're offended by a FINGER, then I hope you're offended by all of the other ~*atrocities*~ on television as well. Let's stop being moral hypocrites. Seriously. And to the people saying she's just another black woman, she's SRI LANKAN. Racist dumbasses!

brad

I like Madonna's new song "Gimme All Your Luvin". Here's the "official video" for it. Madonna looks good in it.

It's a catchy song. It'll "grow on you" after you listen to it a few times. It reminds me a little of some songs by "the B52s" who I used to listen to quite a bit.

It sure sounds like a 1980s era pop song. That's a good thing. I guess it should since Madonna has been a huge star since about 1984 or so.

Irony

NO TALENT! Why was she even invited....oh that's right her baby's grandpa is a music mogul...

Ricky

Well, all this hate on M.I.A just made me go buy her album. Can't wait for her next one to hit. So she flipped the bird! So what! God, we are so thin skinned! OOOOOOO... WAH!!! WAH!!!! MOMMMY... that LADY was mean to me! Boo hoo! Stop the whining! It's pathetic!!! OOOOO... I hope they fine her millions! Wow! Since when did a bunch of pansies watch football! For real!

mardi

HERE WE GO AGAIN, COME ON PEOPLE, ITS NOT SO DRASTIC EVERYONE NEEDS TO LIGHTEN UP, SO WHAT IF SHE FLIPPED HER FINGER, WHO REALLY CARES. EVERY YEAR PEOPLE GET SO UPSET AND RIGHTEOUS WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS. PEOPLE R UPSET AND HAVE SAID THEY CANT WATCH THE SUPERBOWL ENTERTAINMENT WITH THEIR FAMILIES, REALLY R U ALL SERIOUS, SOME OF YOUR KIDS DO AND SEE WORSE IN THEIR EVERYDAY LIVES, THAT U DUMB-A**'s DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT. SO I SAY LETS HAVE "THE MUPPETS" PREFORM OR "MICKEY AND MINNIE", U NEED TO GET A LIFE IF A FINGER GESTURE IS SO UPSETTING TO YOU

Axel

Maybe if she had any talent, we might really care. But she's not all that, and hence, she never will be.

Michelle Nelson

FINE HER! Vulgar, disgusting, classless...SO incredibly pointless.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

She knew exactly what she was doing and any fine this tramp receives in her mind is worth it based on the fact that without her stunt we wouldn't be talking about this no talent today.

sgm

She is getting just what what she wanted ATTENTION!! Besides that she is a classless person and I'm sure she will feel Madonna's wrath one way or another!

fran

why are entertainers so rude and crude now...especially rock stars, or in MIAs case wannabe star..really nasty

MP

The thing about this is that while a middle finger isn't the most offensive gesture around, to do it during the Superbowl halftime show is just completely unnecessary. You hire gutter trash, don't be surprised when you get gutter trash.

sasquatch

M.I.A. = Moron In Action

Looneytoonsindville

Who saw it? I mean really? Who in their right mind was watching either her hands or her face throughout the performance? You know what I mean? I certainly didn't see it!

Bill

Are people really pulling the righteous card on a performance?? Seriously folks, it was barely noticeable so relax on the fake outrage;)

For those of you with kids freaking out, be parents and explain to them that it's not appropriate to use such a remark and call it a day. Jees, you guys would blow a gasket if you knew what kids were doing at school. She usually plays fora more 21+ crowd so it's NBC's fault for thinking she was going to keep it Disney.

Bill

NONE of you saw it so stop trippin