M.I.A.

She'll Be Left Holding the Bag

If NBC Gets Fined

2/6/2012 12:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0206_mia_finger_EX_02
M.I.A. will end up paying any fines imposed on NBC as a result of her finger wag during the Super Bowl halftime show ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... the NFL has indemnified NBC ... because the NFL is responsible for the halftime content.

But the NFL was smart, given the history of performers who wanted to do something shocking to get attention during the biggest TV event of the year. So we're told ... M.I.A. signed a contract with the NFL for the halftime performance, and in that contract M.I.A. agreed to indemnify the NFL for any money it might be forced to pay if the FCC comes down on the Peacock Network.

Remember, CBS was hit with a $550,000 FCC fine after Janet Jackson's famous wardrobe malfunction, but that fine was thrown out by a federal appeals court.

Sources tell us ... aside from the fact that the NFL doesn't want to pay a huge fine, the organization wants to send a message to performers -- don't you dare screw with us.

We don't know if the NFL got a similar indemnity clause from Madonna.

StarFleetVeteran

Madonna, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A... what do they all have in common? They're all trashy whoooooores. I hope the NFL realizes they wouldn't have issues like this if they'd book artists that have class.

Tayzilla

MIA just wanted some attention and she got it. There are worse things in the world than a middle finger. Curse words aren't always censored on the sideline. I really don't see what the big deal is. Besides she's married into a family worth billions. She can pay for the fines.

Nikkcolle

Let the drag queen pay his own fine. Take some responsibility for your nonsense. You gambled for marketing purposes and marketing isn't free. Idiot.

Buster

Why would the FCC fine them? There was not nudity or profanity. The only one making a big deal about this are some parents group. It is not illegal to flip the bird on TV.

karen

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hope she has to pay this fine! I know I'm not young anymore
but I cannot believe what these young thugs get away with, and then score millions!

I am Spartacus

If nobody talked about it after the fact then she wouldn't have done it. But today people are talking about it so she is being recognized. There's no such thing as bad publicity for these people. It happened so fast i bet a lot of people missed it but when it's talked about the next day and showed on repeat it becomes bigger than it should be.

Just move on, let her pay a fine. No need to make a big deal out of something so stupid. That's what she wanted in the first place.

Luz

Good!

Happy

Pure BT!

brad

I wonder if Madonna yelled at M.I.A. backstage for flipping the bird. Who knows? Madonna has been doing shocking stuff since the 80s so "the bird" probably doesn't faze her much.

However, Madonna might be mad at M.I.A. because people are talking about this bird flipping thing instead of Madonna's performance ... which I thought was pretty good. I was hoping she did "Ray of Light" though. I think the keyboards and beat on that song are really cool. It would probably sound awesome in that stadium. It's a modern, futuristic sounding song that would fit with a Super Bowl.

jesse

yet madonna showed her ***** 2 or 3 times and nobody says a thing?

JaundicedEye

The music industry is declining by the double digits year after year. And why? Because of no-talent, unprofessional punks like M.I.A. who can't resist reverting to their stupid selves.

Andrea

You're all ****ing idiots if you're upset over this. I'd flip you off, too.

CriticXtreme

Go MIA!!! You woke up morons who had settled with the boring same routines in their lives. Stay fierce! I'm also giving them the New York Hello with both hands!

Kari

I hope she pays big time!! Maybe if she were really talented, she wouldn't have to resort to such desperate measures to get attention.

ZombieBunny

So what if she pays! She is married to the heir of the Seagrams fortune, she has the money that is why she can get away being a "rebel" while living capitalist America.