Randy Travis

Wines After Fight with GF

2/6/2012 10:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0206_travis_ex_doc
Randy Travis has an explanation for why he was stumbling drunk in front of a church -- he had just gotten in a fight with his girlfriend.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, cops observed Randy sitting in a black car with no lights on just after midnight Monday.  When they approached the vehicle, they couldn't help but notice Randy reeked of booze.

The arresting officer says Randy tried to explain the fight with his girlfriend ... but "Mr. Travis' speech was slurred and I was beginning to have a hard time understanding what he was saying."

Randy made an awkward stumbling exit from the vehicle -- as most drunk people do, and that's when the officer hooked him up and placed him under arrest for public intoxication.

Cops say they poured out the rest of the booze -- and towed Randy's car from the scene.

Travis was cited ... and released a short time later.

update_bar
11:57 AM PST -- Travis has just released a statement ... saying, "I apologize for what resulted following an evening of celebrating the Super Bowl."

He adds, "I'm committed to being responsible and accountable, and apologize for my actions."

CarAfficionado

So he didn't get charged with a DUI because he was parked? Still I'm sure with an open container, his insurance rates will go up. He probably won't even notice since he's got bank. Which reminds me, awesome site for awesome low car insurance rates. I just found it!!!
www .buy auto insurance . com

colin

Spell much? It's "whine."

kentuckygal

This happened in a podunk town about 45 minutes north of Dallas. Trust me, they would have charged him with a DUI if they could have, the Denton County police do not care who you are! I just wanna know what the hell he was doing in Sanger, and buying a house in Tioga, really? I'm from the Dallas area, and I wouldn't live there if you paid me!

PokerStar

They did you a favor Randy and kept you from driving off and possibly killing someone.

tlcmk

Technically he was on private property and unless the church pressed charges, it was a bogus bust.

shar

That's a shock.."Fight with girlfriend" I always thought he was gay.. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT..

thomas smith

what else was this dude on besides alcohol? oh i know randy its tough boohoo. how long does this go bfore he kills one of us or a loved one. randy maybe the cops in sanger dont like dont like your bare ass sanger style. and i would be very carefull on whitch brotherhood u threaten. alcohol or not.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2