Russell Brand to Katy Perry:

I Don't Want Your Money

2/8/2012 7:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand
Russell Brand
is entitled to approximately $20 million of Katy Perry's fortune ... but TMZ has learned he will not take a single penny of it.

Russell's lawyer filed final divorce papers Tuesday ... although the judge will make the divorce official on June 30, because there's a 6 month waiting period.

Informed sources tell TMZ ... Russell and Katy did NOT have a prenup. As a result, everything they earned during their 14-month marriage is community property -- which means they're each entitled to 50% of the pot.

Katy made $44 million between May, 2010 and May, 2011 -- according to Forbes. The couple married in October, 2010, so Russell could have scored a fortune if he exercised his community property rights.

But here's the deal. As one source put it, "This divorce is as amicable as it gets, and Russell was a mensch (Yiddish for a good person)." He doesn't want Katy's money. He's happy to walk away with the money he earned -- which is far less than what Katy raked in.

So we gotta ask ...

Gaetano

Nobility is mostly reserved for us men, there is no way any woman would ever not want money.

Brand fan

Not a surprise to me -- it's consistent with everything Brand has said in interviews, books, etc. He's always been a decent guy who wrestles with how to turn his egotistical desires (for attention, fame, etc) into something more valuable. It's what makes him worth following, to me. I hope they both come out of this wiser and stronger.

Margo

Its hard enough for the both of them!! Glad they didn't dray money into it.

Kickassi

For all of you all saying that a woman wouldn't do that, you're all a bunch of hypocrites. VERY VERY VERY FEW men OR women would walk away from 20 million! You got MEN AND WOMEN drinking DONKEY semen for a CHANCE at just 50 grand!! So get off your "I'm male we are so much more admirable" soapboxes cause you are ALL lying to yourselves if you'd pass at 20 million. I'd say 5% of the BILLIONS of people in this world would actually pass that up, and Mr. Brand is clearly in that 5%. Kudos to him, but stop ****ting yourselves to act like you would do the same.

angbaka

You're a royalty, Russell Brand. I never ever doubted it. You're a blue blood, not just a Brand!

Dory

Hey HeMan Woman Haters ~ we hate you too!! When I left my douche bag ex (who talked a lot like you)...I left with NOTHING but my son! All I wanted was OUT! Stop saying "no woman would do that" ~ odds are you'll never find out 'cause no woman can stand to be around you long enough to be entilted to your "millions" ~

Brian

That's how it should be. Community property shouldn't apply when you've only been married a short time. I've never liked any of Russell Brand's work but he's obviously a stand up guy.

Asessina

How horrible he would look if he took half the money. In this society it;s ok for the woman to take half the earnings, tho' she'll be called all sorts of names but not acceptable for a man. He;s not being noble. He's making sure he has a life and a career to look forward to.

Dom The Mover

just goes to show, he's not a bad dude!

carol lynn

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Someday the world will wake up and realize what a brilliant and remarkably wonderful man Russell Brand is. Katy lost out, but at least it's not an ugly situation that feeds the headlines of the the garbage journals and TV gossip...oops, sorry.
For the record, I didn't have a pre-nup and my husband and I did a do it yourself divorce through LA courthouse, divided everything 50/50 and are still friends. No lawyers and total cost was under $800.00. Reasonable people can do reasonable things.

Torgotronic

He wrote a thoughtful article about the horrors of addiction when Amy Winehouse died, and now is a class act when divorcing one of the biggest pop stars on the planet. Good for you, sir.

PATRICIA

YEA THAT'S RIGHT!!! Its like being married to the military service member, you need to married 10 years to get half! i have 27 years!! Half!!!!!

Mr. Truth Teller

Come on people, Russell Brand is not the kind of guy to walk away from $20 Mil!!! Katie must have something on him, like she caught him sucking ****s or something and she's got proof (pics or vids)... Katie: Go ahead and take my $20 Million Russell and the whole world will see you sucking ****s!!! Russell: I dont want your momey Kye-Tee(katie), as he wipe the nut off his chin, lmfao!!!!!

Augi

The difference between men & women. And why women are more selfish than men.

Women become gold diggers and try to clean a guy out during a divorce. Men are just nicer people and better people than women.

AussieGirl

The article says "Katy Made......" so of course he's not going to take the money, he's english!!! We