Russell Brand to Katy Perry:

I Don't Want Your Money

2/8/2012 7:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand
Russell Brand
is entitled to approximately $20 million of Katy Perry's fortune ... but TMZ has learned he will not take a single penny of it.

Russell's lawyer filed final divorce papers Tuesday ... although the judge will make the divorce official on June 30, because there's a 6 month waiting period.

Informed sources tell TMZ ... Russell and Katy did NOT have a prenup. As a result, everything they earned during their 14-month marriage is community property -- which means they're each entitled to 50% of the pot.

Katy made $44 million between May, 2010 and May, 2011 -- according to Forbes. The couple married in October, 2010, so Russell could have scored a fortune if he exercised his community property rights.

But here's the deal. As one source put it, "This divorce is as amicable as it gets, and Russell was a mensch (Yiddish for a good person)." He doesn't want Katy's money. He's happy to walk away with the money he earned -- which is far less than what Katy raked in.

So we gotta ask ...

tim

Of course he doesn't want her money. She is a women who is 9.5 years younger than he is. No real man would feel good about taking a much women's money especially a much younger one.

milli

thats good he has my respect for that and me thinking his an idiot... my bad dude ur OK

Tracy Edgar

Ok,
I filed for divorce from my former husband.He made over twice the amount of money I made at the time of the divorce.
There were years during the marriage where I was a stay at home Mom. It was harder work than being in the work force.
Anyway, he had 3 cars, 2 that were totally paid for and the third belonged to both of us. I could not afford the payment. He had no issue giving me full custody of the the kids, but because I was leaving him after he cheated for 2 years with a friend of the family and split my head open with the butt end of a pistol, he no longer wanted to make the car payment . He did not seem to care how his children were transported to school or if I got to work all right.
I left him all of the furniture, except for the computer. He wiped out our joint bank account and this caused problems with my paychecks for a couple of weeks as they were direct deposit.
I had every right to his life insurance but asked that the children be the beneficiaries. I had every right to alimony for every year I did not work and did not ask for it. There was also a condo that we co-owned and I signed it over to him. Interestingly , he could handle the monthly maintenance fees for the condo, but just could not afford child support. He had 30 extra dollars for that each month, but not for his sons.
I just wanted my Maiden name back and for him to pay a reasonable amount of child support. I wanted the costs to be broken down and for him to care for them just as he had when we were still married.
Instead of making the divorce simple , he drug it out complaining about how little he could afford to pay in support and the whole process became a bargaining session.
He pays 98.00 every 2 weeks and has had to have his wages garnished twice. He is supposed to pay half of all medical expenses after insurance. He has not done that in the time since we were divorced. If I were to pursue that, he would owe thousands of dollars as our youngest son had to have heart tests.
I left the car with him even though my name was on it as well ,because I knew full well he could make the payment as he had been up until I asked for a divorce. I basically called his bluff and said "well, if you don't make the payments, then your credit is going to be screwed." I had a friend that gave me a used car and when my husband would not feed his children because they chose to live with me, and he took all of our money and refused to help me until my checks could be sent to a new account I had set up, this friend helped make it possible for the boys and I to eat.
I just wanted my freedom and a new start with my sons. He made us miserable for over a year.
My point is this: I did not take a thing from him. I did not feel he owed me, but I can understand how a Woman who placed her trust in her husband , made a joint decision to be home raising the family and backing him up by cleaning and caring for his home, making his meals, and sharing their body would feel the need to have some support if the man up and left her with the knowledge that she was not in a position to earn what the children were accustomed to having. A decent man would see to making sure that could happen.
The Darling Man I am married to now, still pays Alimony to his ex and it endears him to me. He is noble and could pull the plug as she lives with a man. He does it so that she does not wind up with nothing for the sake of their children. She is unstable. He even offered to help her pay for medication for severe plaque psoriasis to make her feel more confident in looking for work. She refused that....
Not all of us want more than to be treated like a human being. Not all of us seek to take from someone who treats us like trash. Some of us just want a clean, healthy break.
Tina Turner left Ike and left that marriage with NOTHING but her stage name. She started all over again on her own using her God given talent.
Yes, there are greedy people out there of BOTH genders, but there are those that are just trying to maintain our dignity.

skyehawk

This will go over really big in his hometown (UK)....They like him there , and if he was to take Katie's money he would get a lot of smack for it ....They still rag on Paul McCartney EX wife ( the one with one leg ) they continually make jokes about her greed .Graham Norton uses her as a foil all the time ..

Paul

Being noble has nothing to do with any of it. "Decent men" don't enter relations expecting to profit from them and smart men understand society will scorn them if they leave one having done so. For women though it's the exact opposite as wealth and power are what women seek in a partner despite what they say and society expect them to receive a pay day when the relationship ends. If you doubt that for a single moment just look at the number of young attractive women who marry politicians, celebrities and wealthy men twice or more their age then bitch and moan when they get traded in for a younger model who played the same game they did.

dvdvault

Damn why divorce in the first place you nuts you got this rich hot chick to marry you and you want a divorce from her don't make sense. Don't marry till you have dated all the hollywood chicks you want to then settle down with the best one you dated. I know you want to marry them to get them of the market so no one else can but that is the way life is.

bunny

I did it.. and I am a woman.
My ex is a lovely man and his money was his.
I left with what I came with, not because I am
"such a great girl" but because I would hate to have that
done to me and I was the one that left.
Yes, it was substantial.

bunny

I just noticed tmz has an ad for the hollywood cult on thier page.
I will not be coming back.

I always thought it was pretty ridiculous the way a room filled with
adult men acting as if they are cracking watergate was embarassing.
And the head guy (the one who sang "My Way" w/ his corny, smug
expression when "he" has the scoop! ooooh what a job a man can be proud of!
Following a bunch of needy attention starved celebrities around...

Will

@meow what a ridiculous argument. Yes of course - Heather Mills slaved away for 20 years didnt she?????? She was trying to claim 20million! For what? She should have got Nothing.

kim west

he should get half but peace of mind has no price.
Good guy

WendiT

I am living proof that a woman would have done this. My soul concern was for my children and we were married 20 years and I get an alimony check of $20.10 and he makes over 100 thous. a year. I did not want anything from him but for him to get the hell away from me and even after my doing that he wants to know all my business. In the words of the Darius Ruck song" All I want you to leave me is ALONE!!"

Whitney

I can understand the comments about how "a woman would not do this", THAT IS TRUE but let's take into consideration the fact that it was men that created this situation for themselves. If American society in the beginning were not so biased against women when it came to her being able to support herself through employment, loans, property rights, etc., there would be no such thing as alimony, child support, prenups, etc. American society in the past supported the notion that a woman's main role is to be a mother or a wife and since women were treated like children as a result of their undoing they received all those benefits.

I hate to say this, but men are their own worst enemy and wealthy rich men today are victims of the outwardly nasty behavior of wealthy rich men in the past. You cannot expect your gender to put your boot on the neck of the other gender for decades upon decades and think that there will not be any consequences for it in the future. Even now men are deciding how and whether or not women should receive birth control or their contraception in politics and government, and men now and in the future will pay for that through having to pay for child support.

Ashley

makes me love him that much more :)

Kat

I never understood why when two very wealthy people split, why there would be even any discussion about one getting the others money, just go your separate ways.

Good job on not being an ******* Russell!!

To me, Ms.Perry seems like a real bitch anyway.

George

A Woman wouldn't do it... and NO Meow, what we mean is even after a shallow marraige, no kids, lasting a few years, though no one is qualifying that, it just takes away from the point... no woman would do that. American men are stronger beings for the most part, have to eat more ****