Madonna

M.I.A.'s Middle Finger Stunt

Was Stupid and Childish

2/10/2012 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0210_madonna_mia_audio_BN
Madonna
is lashing out at M.I.A.'s bird-flipping grab for attention during the Super Bowl Halftime show last weekend -- claiming the crude gesture was a "teenager ... irrelevant thing to do."

Madonna called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning -- saying, "I was really surprised. I didn’t know anything about it. I wasn’t happy about it."

Madonna told Ryan, "I understand it’s punk rock and everything, but to me there was such a feeling of love and good energy, and positivity, it seemed negative. It’s such a teenager ... irrelevant thing to do ... there was such a feeling of love and unity there. What was the point?"

Madge added, "It was just out of place."

update_bar
Madonna just called in to Carson Daly too, saying M.I.A. has since apologized to her over the incident.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

Thats the only thing they BOTH DESERVE- is the "FINGER"-- Both probably USE it for self-satisfaction- The only thing they have going for them!!!

Steve

It seems kind of irrelevant to get upset with someone for giving the middle finger while singing the lyric "I'mma say this once, yeah, I don't give a sh-t."

rebecca daz cobarrubias

Madonna shame on you! was it ok when you were grinding all over the floor with cones on your breast! what now that you have kids and your are 50+ its wrong? well look who calling the kettle black Madonna get over yourself! why do people take the finger so offense how many time do people do that while driving and dont care whos in the other car Pal-eeze people!!! and Madonna get over yourself!

Joao

Madonna was off the chain during her day, in fact half of her act was about shock value... so in a way she has herself to blame for idiots "pushing the envelope." But what's equally disgusting is that it took public humiliation for MIA [whoever they are] to apologize. They need to apologize to the country, but they're too "cool" for that. The larger question is, do these people have parent and if so, are the parents as screwed up---or is it that that they have no shame, self-respect, grabbing their 5 mins of fame, fade back into obscurity, drug addiction, foreclosures and bankruptcy from spending money they don't have.

CoconutScrimp

That ain't Madonna! The woman on the phone has a Michigan accent and the real Madonna has a British accent!

BTW, that Super Bowl performance was awful, specially Vogue's.

ChunkyLightning

Oh a Senior Citizen was offended why doesn't she cash her old age check buy a bottle of Whine and think back to when those 20 yr old songs were half relevant! Grannies lip synching to songs over two decades old is what Youtube is for!!!

brad

M.I.A. knew good and darned well she wasn't supposed to do anything like that ... because of little kids watching, etc. I'm sure M.I.A. was warned. She should pay the fine if the FCC decides to do it.

Madonna is mainly ticked off because the media was talking about M.I.A. after the Super Bowl instead of her performance ... which was pretty good. I don't blame Madonna one bit for being ticked off at her.

I bet M.I.A. would be ticked off if Madonna "upstaged" her if she was doing one of M.I.A. songs with her. It's a big "no no" for a supporting musician to try to outshine the lead musician. Same thing applies in acting ... especially Broadway shows. That's where the word "upstaging" came from.

PHIL

The only thing "stupid and childish" is TMZ's intentionally misleading headlines. Madonna never said those words, the headline certainly implies that she did. They pull this lame trick all the time.

CaMeO

It must bother her knowing that she isn't the reason everyone's talking about her performance

New Orleans

Madonna proved she is the world's best performer and a class act. M.I.A. showed her lack of intelligence and talent. Easy as that. Madonna will continue to have a career. M.I.A. is already an anachronism.

UPYOURS

I am impressed. That's a first for me regarding anything Madonna. Half-time show still sucked, but for Madonna to go against rather than support MIA on this one, total surprise. I expected her to ignore it or to defend it.

brad

ChunkyLightning,

If Madonna keeps on creating NEW HIT SONGS in the studio that are better than other artist's music then she SHOULD still be out there doing big world tours and so forth. Age doesn't matter that much to me. It's all about THE MUSIC.

The Rolling Stones made some of their very best music in the 1990s ... 2 or 3 really good albums. They got started in the early 1960...s. Same thing with Eric Clapton, Aerosmith and many others. Paul McCartney is about 70 now and he's STILL making NEW music that is good.

If an older musician keeps on creating the magic hit songs in the studio then they should continue to be big stars. Look at Brett Favre. He was playing his best NFL football when he was 40 years old against 22 year olds. Same thing happens in the music business.

Some of the older musicians like Paul McCartney should be thought of like Beethoven or Mozart are in classical music. Their music is "timeless". It'll still be played on iPods and on the radio long after they die. That's what's awesome about great music. It lives on and on ... many forever.

Different Rules Apply

With the years of Madonna's inappropriate, trashy displays with America's young girls watching on, she has a nerve to criticize anyone. Madonna has done everything she possibly an to be outrageous and controversial throughout her career ~ she is in a glass house commenting on this at all. I do not agree with anyone making such a foolish gesture at such a public family event, but Madonna is not the moral compass to listen to. Madge, just because you are older now and try to talk with an fake sophisticated accent, I remember what you did, how you did it and how I needed to shield my children from your influence.

janet

Madonna hired her. All the dancers, extras and costumes. No way she can play dumb. All the fanfare still couldn't cover up her lip-syncing.

Shelby

Let that be a lesson to the NFL, know who you are bringing in. Don't just bring in someone because they may be popular.