Matt Lauer

I'll Stay at 'Today' ...

If You Pay Me a Fortune

2/10/2012 5:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0209_matt_lauer_tmz_EX
Matt Lauer has softened his position about leaving "Today" in December at the end of his contract -- that is, if NBC antes up a record amount of money.

Sources connected to NBC tell TMZ ... Lauer was done with "Today" and wanted out -- but the word at the network is he will now re-sign if NBC ponies up way more than the $17 mil he's currently making.

We're told negotiations are now ongoing -- but if NBC agrees ... Lauer could score as much as $30 MILLION a year.

As for why the change of heart -- there are two schools of thought according to network sources. Some say Lauer changed his mind when network execs made it clear they were extremely interested in tapping Ryan Seacrest as Matt's replacement -- in other words, he got a little jealous.

But there's another school of thought -- that Lauer has wanted to re-sign all along and just played the "I'm leaving" card to score a bigger pay day.

As for whether Lauer is worth $30 mil ... to put it in context, "Today" makes roughly $450 million a year for the network ... more than any other show on NBC.

So we gotta ask ...

Tracy

Matt is worth whatever it costs for me to be saved from watching Ryan Seacrest every morning.

Jenn

Matt Lauer and Snyderman are pharma- whores. Why aren't we hearing about the possibility of PANS/PANDAS recently diagnosed in the Leroy girls? Instead the poor girls are being told they're f'g crazy.

Thurston Howell III

Oh... get rid of this greedy, no talent SOB. This guy should thank his lucky stars he's on that stupid show. Before he got the Today gig, he was pruning trees, down to his last buck and about to open gardening business.

There are ten million and one talented people who could sit in that chair, read a telepromter and do that menial job AND be dayam grateful for the 17 effing million dollars yer YEAR he is being gossly overpaid for that cush gig.

What a dumb azz.

jadus

Really NBC you could hire just about anybody off the street and they would be better than Matt Lauer. I can't believe they were paying him 17 million a year! What a greedy boring person he is he should only take 200,000 dollars a year and give the rest to charity. Matt Lauer don't you care about the poor? You greedy 1 percenter.

rosebud

no human is worth 30 million dollars, and you mr.lauer arent even worth 1 million,so I have to say even though I have A life and dont watch your today show ,bye bye.

Dino

I rather to see someone young & new and less greedy. He wants to earn $30M & pay 15% of it on taxes per year. Woow " Typical Republican "

Different Rules Apply

I cannot for the life of me understand the greed that these TV personalities have. Is $15M not a spankin pay check? Absolutely ridiculous the disparity between the working class in this country and the entertainment/ sports class. We will never recover from this recession (depression) until things even out a bit.

Ih8Taxes

Bye Matt! You suck anyway.

Jim in Cali

This guy is a clown. No wonder NBC is in 4th place against the rival networks.

Barbarascy

Lauer is the reason I stopped watching Today. I find him to be a bit unpleasant to be on so early in the morning. To each his own, but I don't think it would destroy the Today Show to get someone who isn't so dis likable.

Johnny Carcinoma

Insane. With or without him the show does bank. Who is tuning in just to watch HIM?

Another idiot who thinks the world revolves around him.

janet

If Matt Lauer was an actual journilist, he never was, fluff pieces, if not written for him, Lauer has no clue. He can play the camera. When did his hair start to grow back?

self-employed

I've always wondered why someone who makes that much money always wants more. 17 mil a yr. is not enough? If I had just a measley 1 mil I would retire and could live very comfortably the rest of my life. Greed is not a virtue.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

Its unbelievable how these ANCHORS on the news -CBS, NBC,ABC Are propped up to be "news people"?? These A--wipes interview famous people and BOW before them when they ask a serious question, say ask about what they had foe breakfast??? They are Gerbles and SHEEP!!!Lauer has always been a loser-He is a Donald Duck imposter!!!

Straight Talkin Texan

He's out of his mind! How arrogant! I'm not so keen on him anymore now!