Nate Dogg

Rapper 'Friends' Abandoned Him

... Ex-Associate Claims

2/10/2012 4:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0209_NATE_dogg_getty_ex
Nate Dogg
's world-famous rap friends turned their backs on the singer when he needed them most ... refusing to pitch in one cent towards his medical costs ... this according Nate's former associate, who's on the hook for the $300k bill.

TMZ broke the story ... Nate's estate AND a record label owner named David Michery ... were sued by the medical facility where Nate lived from 2008 to 2010 after suffering a massive stroke. A judge recently ruled in favor of the facility, which means David needs to pay up ... or else.

David tells TMZ ... he DID vouch for the bill back in 2010 ... but only because nobody else would step up to the plate ... "none of Nate's so-called rapper friends."

David says medical personnel told him it was imperative that Nate receive treatment at the CareMeridian center at the time ... because the singer's life was hanging in the balance.

"I was the only person who would come forward because I didn’t want him to die. Me and Nate have 20 years history together and I did what everyone should have done and tried to save his life ... not let him get kicked out in the streets and die."

David says he intends to pay the costs by releasing several never-before-heard Nate Dogg tracks that he claims he owns.

When asked if he regrets taking responsibility for Nate's massive medical bill ... David says, "Not at all ... I would do it again in a minute. I just wish that the people he looked out for all these years and the people who claim to love him so much would help out."

TMZ spoke with Warren G -- who famously recorded "Regulate" with Nate -- who tells us, "I rode with Nate 'til the end ... I did what I could do for him with other things financially."

He added, "If I was able to pay for his hospital bill, I would have. I made several calls to numerous people for help. I love Nate ... he's my brother."

We called several other rappers who were close with Nate -- so far no response.

ThirdFromTheLeft

But what about all those hospital folk who irresponsibly kept Nate alive, when they had no idea how his hospital bill was gonna' be paid???
I'm sorry but this happens ALL the time - doctors and nurses spend weeks and sometimes months working on some hapless jerk without first finding out how he's gonna' pay - and then they get their panties in a bunch when their stuck with the bill!? WTF?
The un-insured should at least have to provide a credit report before being admitted.

Me

Confused. Why should any of Nate Doggs "rapper friends", be on the hook for his medical bills ? Dead or alive ?

The record label exec friend shouldnt even be on the hook for the medical bills.

Nate Doggs estate should be paying the medical bills.

Just sayin !

ManiacalZebra

Why isn't his estate paying or it? Where's all the money he earned?

fastdriver

That's what HOLLYWOOD is ALL about- PHONIES! They're only there when the money is flowing and they can latch on to their "friends" for a free ride, but when the chips are down, they all disappear! It's ok though because KARMA is a BITCH! You'll all get yours down the road!

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Tell you this as a working man with MS who doesn't get paid millions of dollars like you do brah, you find out who your friends are when you get sick and the list is usually pretty short I've discovered. And that's because this government has turned America into a third world dump where people are afraid to come out their front doors nowadays. THAT"S WHY.

mebrat24

Is any one surprised, they need the cash to go to strip club or buy another bling.

Lilredone

Wiz khalifa should cover it since he is still singing Nate's songs.

Sonja

They should just be able to file against the estate, not an associate. That is how it usually works. The nursing home that cared for my grandfather was paid out of the 'estate' my grandfather had left to family...they didn't go after family for it. None of this sounds right. I don't get how this guy would be held legally responsible for this outrageous medical bill.

Tom Brokaw

This message is for you Snoop Dogg. you can burn in hell for the rest of your life for leaving the guy that MADE your career.

June

I personally sat bed side of Nate for almost the last 2 years of his life, watching him learn to smile again gave me hope for my own son's recovery, Nate’s family are wonderful people and I do know that David did everything he possibly could do for Nate and never gave up on him as well as his mother and family, Please don’t judge his family and the people that where there for him in the last days of his life, until you walk in the shoes of a family with a catastrophic injury you will never understand the emotional toll. Care meridian made my families life a living nightmare that we still have to live with daily because of there lack of professionalism. Buddy you and your family will always have a special place in my heart. May your soul rest in piece my friend.

PNice

The big difference in the hip-hop circuit than others is that you'll never see rappers have fund raising shows for their fallen brothers. Just look at what Deftones and fellow bands are doing for Chi Cheng. One Love For Chi!

Joao

"I made several calls to numerous people for help. I love Nate ... he's my brother." Those rapper ghetto slim couldn't give a gnats ass about anybody... My question is, those folks are always bragging about their swag and bling, why don't they have health insurance? The answer is, they don't want to buy anything if it doesn't bring attention to themselves.

pat

So it looks like Michael Moore was right, they let you die in the states if you dont have money. He should have come to ireland, we would have fixed him up for free!

RunzWithScissors

Um, I'm a nurse. We don't give care based on insurance. I'm not going to stop caring for someone because I don't know how they are going to pay the bill. I will discuss various options for treatment, but I'm not going to say, Hey, let me unhook your IV bag because because that saline is costing you a lot of money an hour to run that pump? No. We provide quality care.

RunzWithScissors

Although I will say when I was doing my time on med/surg we did keep a guy in the hospital for a few months because his kids refused to pay his bill...with his money...and they wouldn't release him to extended care. Poor guy. I felt really bad for him.
This whole situation seems sad...it was far too early for him to go. And to the person who said something along the lines of, "it's always about money with black families"...um, **** you.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments